Gecko Glass?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

daffodildeb

Gecko Glass?

Post by daffodildeb »

Can anyone tell me about Gecko Glass? I saw a beautiful piece which has mottles similar to Bullseye, but even more intensely colored. Has anyone ever tried to work with this on fusing or slumping? If so, does it hold the color patterns? What is the COE?

I know this is an imported glass and handled by a Houston distributor glass, but don't know much else about it.
Deb
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Pat Loboda

Post by Pat Loboda »

I have purchased a sampler pack of Gecko glass for stained glass work. There are some very pretty choices with Gecko. The problem is when you try to cut it. I've been cutting glass for over 10 years, and I'll get a bad score more often with Gecko than with other glass.

I would never try to fuse with it.

However, in fairness to the company that makes Gecko: I did buy this sampler pack a couple of years ago.

As far as I know, Houston is the only company that distributes it.

Pat Loboda
Sherry#2

Post by Sherry#2 »

I've only bought one sheet of Gecko (clear catspaw textured). I had the same problem with cutting. You think you have a good score, but when you go to break it, it goes off wherever it wants. It was a large sheet of glass though, and you might have better luck with a smaller sheet or if you only need to cut pretty simple shapes.
Sherry
charlie

Re: Gecko Glass?

Post by charlie »

daffodildeb wrote:Can anyone tell me about Gecko Glass? I saw a beautiful piece which has mottles similar to Bullseye, but even more intensely colored. Has anyone ever tried to work with this on fusing or slumping? If so, does it hold the color patterns? What is the COE?

I know this is an imported glass and handled by a Houston distributor glass, but don't know much else about it.
there was a US stained glass company (yough?) that moved their production factories to china and is now imported only for the houston wholesaler. it's not meant to be a fusing glass.
Barbara Cashman

Post by Barbara Cashman »

there was a US stained glass company (yough?) that moved their production factories to china and is now imported only for the houston wholesaler. it's not meant to be a fusing glass.[/quote]

I believe Armstrong has moved its operations to China, but I don't think they sell exclusively to any distributor.
charlie

Post by charlie »

Barbara Cashman wrote:there was a US stained glass company (yough?) that moved their production factories to china and is now imported only for the houston wholesaler. it's not meant to be a fusing glass.
I believe Armstrong has moved its operations to China, but I don't think they sell exclusively to any distributor.[/quote]

that's the one. they market a line only for houston glass under the gecko name, but it's armstrong.
Barbara Cashman

Post by Barbara Cashman »

charlie wrote:
Barbara Cashman wrote:there was a US stained glass company (yough?) that moved their production factories to china and is now imported only for the houston wholesaler. it's not meant to be a fusing glass.
I believe Armstrong has moved its operations to China, but I don't think they sell exclusively to any distributor.
that's the one. they market a line only for houston glass under the gecko name, but it's armstrong.[/quote]

Well, that answers a lot. Armstrong was never a fusing choice in the first place. So, thanks a bunch, Charlie!
lyndasglass

Post by lyndasglass »

By the way, if it is the ring mottles you like in the glass then you would be disappointed in using it to fuse with. Usually ring mottles are a crystal growth in the glass that disappears when you heat it to kiln forming temperatures.

For those of you tring to cut geko glass, if it is made by Armstrong, Armstrong glass tends to like to have a light score. If you push hard enough to hear and see the score line you have over scored the glass. Try lightening up on your pressure and look for you oil trail in order to break the glass.

fyi,
Lynda