What did I do wrong?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

sbaddley

What did I do wrong?

Post by sbaddley »

Friday I drove down to C&R Loo and spent my Tax Refund on Bullseye glass and their new Bullseye thin-fire shelf paper.

I fired a 14 x 14 inch piece with the new thin-fire under the glass. Because I was using the shelf paper, I didn't recoat the shelf with kiln wash. Net result is that I have a 5 inch bubble in the middle of the piece. I have never had a large bubble using kiln wash--am I supposed to use kiln wash and shelf paper to avoid bubbles?
Scott B
Paul Tarlow

Post by Paul Tarlow »

What was your firing schedule?
Mimi Tarro

Bummer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Mimi Tarro »

Hi Scott, I am totally stumped! I have not had any problems with the NEW Bullseye thin fire. you do not need to kiln wash a shelf if you are using thin fire. How thick was the glass you were using and what was your firing schedule. Are you sure the glass you bought was all tested compatable? could there have been any moisture present ?? I am really sorry this happened to you. Brand new GLASS and the NEW AND IMPROVED THIN FIRE!!!If I cannot solve this I can assure you someone else can. Best Regards, Mimi Tarro
sbaddley

Post by sbaddley »

I used the Skutt Kiln default schedule (Speed=slow and Full fuse). Both colors had the little orange "Bullseye compatable" stickers on them.
Scott B
Mimi Tarro

HUH????????????

Post by Mimi Tarro »

Oh Scott I am sorry, I am not very familiar with Skutt default schedule. I need actual temps and times with holds. But my best GUESS would be that you went UP too fast !! The air trapped between the two layers...and produced a beautiful big fat Fricken BUBBLE. If you think this is possibly the cause you have joined a GIGANTIC club!!! Feel a WARM welcome.
Take care Scott , Mimi Tarro
rosanna gusler

Re: Bummer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by rosanna gusler »

[you do not need to kiln wash a shelf if you are using thin fire. ].........you should always have some kiln wash on the shelf. if you over fire, the glass will go right through the thinfire and permanentize itself to the shelf. i have one full of overfired brock chad dots. rosanna
sbaddley

Post by sbaddley »

Schedule is as follows:

Rate 300 300 300 600 600 9999 30 60
Temp 250 500 750 1250 1480 1000 970 750
Hold .25 .25 .25 .20 .15 2.00 2.00 .01
Scott B