slumping- avoid frosting on backside?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Bonnie Rubinstein

slumping- avoid frosting on backside?

Post by Bonnie Rubinstein »

Hi Wise-Ones,

I am fusing with system 96 and am using transparent colors- when I slumped into bowl mold, it got 'frosted' on the bottom side.. it was recommended on my next piece I raise the temp (from 1450 to 1470), but that resulted in big bubbles... don't wish to loose more pieces.. any thoughts? If I lower the temp, will that work?

Thanks kindly...
Bonnie
Bonnie Rubinstein
Amy Schleif-Mohr

Post by Amy Schleif-Mohr »

You don't indicate that you are slumping at 1450 or not. If you are that is WAY to hot. Slumping temps are normally between 1100 and 1200.

Amy
Val

Post by Val »

I was having the same problem through experimenting I found although I couldn't eliminate all frosting I reduced it to the upper inch and a half.

results of experiment using spectrum clear - reduce temp. to 1250 or as low as your kiln allows to slump and reduce time to as little as possible.

I reduced time on a 11 3/4" bowl to 5 minutes and still got frostinfg on upper edge, but I like the look so I'm happy. :D That is until I want it completely clear.

Val
Bonnie Rubinstein

Post by Bonnie Rubinstein »

Amy,

woops- too many #s in my head today-( plus my 6 year old's pool party is going on!) ..I meant to say that I slumped at 1270 instead of 1250.. I will try lower, thanks... and thanks, Val.

Bonnie
Bonnie Rubinstein
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Bonnie,

I found I was still getting too much texture for my liking at 1250°, so now I slump at 1150° for 20 minutes.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun