CBS Violet

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Lorelei

CBS Violet

Post by Lorelei »

A little while ago, one of you posted that you used CBS Violet in your dichro cabs to give them depth. I purchased some on that reccomendation, but perhaps I'm using it wrong. What I did was lay all my little pieces in the kiln and then put a piece of the violet over it all. It just obscured it for the most part. I know I should test again before asking, but I've been dealing with some issues at home and haven't been able to try anything in the shop for a while. Should that violet be on the bottom?
"When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President;
I'm beginning to believe it."

-- Clarence Seward Darrow (1857-1938)
Susan Wright

Post by Susan Wright »

Many of the premium colors of CBS are very dense and I feel can not be used over other design aspects. I use the silver alot and you can use it as a base or as an accent under other colors but if you but it on top of something it is basically opaque. I remember reading the post you are refering to and I recall it saying bullseye neo lavender which is a transparent color. I use that and several of the pale blue and aquas to give a underwater look and top with the thick crystal clear to get lots of depth.

Susan W
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

hi, it was me that said CBS dichroic violet worked to add depth. violet isnt one of the premium colors, so it's been coated once, not twice. it's nearly transparent. i only use it upside down (coated side down). did you use it with the coated side up? if you did it that way, then it would partially obscure the layers underneath. please write back and tell me what you're doing ... i'd love to help you. (it wasn't me that was talking about neo lavender.) aloha, kitty.
Lorelei

Post by Lorelei »

AHH! Thanks very much! Silly me, I didn't even CHECK to see what side was up. it MUST have had the coated side up because it did indeed obscure everything below. So.. you use it coated side down, on top of your elements and it does allow you to see through? There's probably my bigget problem, I have a lot of trouble telling which side is coated and which is not.

And on that note: Judging by how lovely it does look right side up, it would make a nice base used that way.... correct?
"When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President;
I'm beginning to believe it."

-- Clarence Seward Darrow (1857-1938)
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

in that original post, i said i used only dichroic on thin clear, and only stacked coated side down. the purpose of the violet is to add depth, not color. it's nearly colorless. so, in response to your inquiry as to whether it would make a good base, the answer is NO. you cannot use dichro coated side up, with a layer on top of that, coated side down. they wont fuse together. dichro-to-dichro doesn't fuse, so it's important to look at your cut pieces and make sure you know which side is up (or down).

good luck with your color experiments! kitty.
Tom White

Post by Tom White »

Lorelei, to determine the coated side of your dichro place a sharpened pencil point. tooth pick or other small thin object against the side of the glass that is up when you start. Look at the reflection of the object in the glass. If the reflection touches the point of the object the coated side is up. If there is a gap between the object and its reflection the coated side is down. Once you have found the coated side a small dot from a permanent marker or a paint pen in an out of the way location on the coated side will allow you to locate it rapidly in the future. Just remember to remark the coated side if you cut off the first mark for use in a project. Oh yes, remove the identifying mark with the right solvent (alcohol for marker, xylene for paint pen) before firing.

Best wishes,
Tom in Texas