Got Bubble thanks to Bullseye new thin fire.. Can I slump it

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Stuart Clayman

Got Bubble thanks to Bullseye new thin fire.. Can I slump it

Post by Stuart Clayman »

The bubbles did not break. The bottom is red irid. I want to slump it into a platter mold.

Think I should try and slump it flat first, then another one in the mold? or so straight to the mold?

What will the irid look like bubbled then reflattened?

Stuart
sbaddley

Post by sbaddley »

Funny I had the same problem last week. I had a gigantic bubble using the new thinfire paper. I also used red for the bottom piece.

Since then I fired two more platters using the thinfire with black as the bottom piece--not a bubble (firing schedule stayed the same). Must have been the full moon.
Scott B
Stuart Clayman

Post by Stuart Clayman »

sbaddley wrote:Funny I had the same problem last week. I had a gigantic bubble using the new thinfire paper. I also used red for the bottom piece.
Did you do anything with the bubble red? I only have myself to blame... I know that the new thin fire does cause bubbles but before it only happened on this pieces of glass without much decoration on it. This had layers.. next time with put fiber blanket uder the thin fire... I still think there is a need for both old and new thin fire.

Stuart
dee

Post by dee »

Stuart Clayman wrote:
sbaddley wrote:Funny I had the same problem last week. I had a gigantic bubble using the new thinfire paper. I also used red for the bottom piece.
Did you do anything with the bubble red? I only have myself to blame... I know that the new thin fire does cause bubbles but before it only happened on this pieces of glass without much decoration on it. This had layers.. next time with put fiber blanket uder the thin fire... I still think there is a need for both old and new thin fire.

Stuart
what's your firing schedule? i had bubble gremlins until i slowed the ramp from start to top temp down tho' the gremlins went away with the old thinfire but i can avoid them w/o it on the same shelves also...
D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com
Stuart Clayman

Post by Stuart Clayman »

This is not a firing schedule. I have been using this schedule for many upon many firings.. it is the thin fire. Have had lots of these bubbles once switching to it.
dee

Post by dee »

Stuart Clayman wrote:This is not a firing schedule. I have been using this schedule for many upon many firings.. it is the thin fire. Have had lots of these bubbles once switching to it.
maybe it's time to switch to a good shelf primer - be shelf primer has high recommendations tho' i still use the hotline hifire until i need to order more primer...

D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com