Cutting narrow strips

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Heather Nelson

Cutting narrow strips

Post by Heather Nelson »

Can someone please tell me the best way to cut narrow strips of glass consistently? 1/8"-1/4" wide in both thin and standard thicknesses of glass.

Brock

Post by Brock »

1/4" strips in 3mm are easy enough, cut a series of 1/2" strips, score them, and split them with running pliers. 1/8" strips, in 3mm are much harder, as glass does not normally break at a width approaching it's thickness. You will be able to get 1/8" strips out of thin glass however.
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
judith

Post by judith »

Brock wrote:1/4" strips in 3mm are easy enough, cut a series of 1/2" strips, score them, and split them with running pliers. 1/8" strips, in 3mm are much harder, as glass does not normally break at a width approaching it's thickness. You will be able to get 1/8" strips out of thin glass however.
Brock is right (happens now and again) but I think one imortant fact should be added. When breaking glass, you'll have greater succes if you "divide and conquer" (I think Bob said that). By that I mean you should try to keep the width of the glass on either side of the score line the same.
For instance, if you want 1/4" strips, first cut your blank of glass roughly in half (the width of the piece you're cutting off sould be evenly divisible by 1/4" for minimum waste), then cut the half in half, then the resulting half in half, and so on, until you have a 1/2" strip. Then cut the 1/2" strip in half. Since there is an equal amount of glass on either side of the score, you'll have much greater success in having the break run down the score line. Works for me. I hope this makes sense.

judith
Stuart Clayman

Post by Stuart Clayman »

And the obvious suggestion... a good strip cutter.
Brock

Post by Brock »

Brock is right (happens now and again) . . .

Waah! Implcit criticism. Judy! Weren't you paying attention at BECon?
You can never, never, ever criticize someone. It's a rule. And, you didn't use the but/and convention. Brock
Marty

Post by Marty »

Re a good strip cutter: Judith sells a great one. It may seem expensive but if you do a lot of strip cutting, you'll kick yourself for not having bought one before.

Re the comments on divide-n-conquer cheatin technology: I find it easier to make all the scores first and then break/run them. With 1/4" to 3/8" strips, break a group of 8, then run the middle one (2 groups of 4), etc.

Trying to get 1/8" wide strips out of 1/8" thick glass is an exercise in futility. Cut them out of the thin stuff and double them up.

Marty
Bob

Post by Bob »

Hey Marty,

That's exactly the way that I do it... score first, break into groups of 8, then 4, then 2, and voila...finally nice even single strips. Perhaps at the upcoming WGW there could be a stripping contest. Brock starts off in one of his (dare I say) patented Hawaiian shirts and ....

Cheers,

Bob
Brock

Post by Brock »

Doug's the strip cutting man.
Also has a good underwear-on-the-head dance routine.
Brock
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Bob wrote:Hey Marty,

That's exactly the way that I do it... score first, break into groups of 8, then 4, then 2, and voila...finally nice even single strips. Perhaps at the upcoming WGW there could be a stripping contest. Brock starts off in one of his (dare I say) patented Hawaiian shirts and ....

Cheers,

Bob

Brock and Doug had a "strip-off" in Portland last year. If I remember correctly it was a tie. (sort of) One made longer strips from "evil white" while the other made thinner strips, but from a more "friendly" clear. No Hawaiian shirt that day, but it was fun to watch never the less.
Doug

Post by Doug »

Ok....I have to chime in here. I do have one of those big table model strip cutters, but for production cutting 1/4" to 3/8" theres nothing like the good old manual strip cutter, provided you do the right retooling with them.
And that damn dance keeps coming back to haunt me, but it is always fun at parties. But never as fun as the look on Brocks face at the transvestite show when the female impersonator came over to him and got him really nervous. What did she say to you...huh!. .....hahaha touche!
Brock

Post by Brock »

. . . And that damn dance keeps coming back to haunt me, but it is always fun at parties. But never as fun as the look on Brocks face at the transvestite show when the female impersonator came over to him and got him really nervous. What did she say to you...huh!. .....hahaha touche!

I prefer to think that he/she just picked the hunka-hunka-burning-love looking guy out of the audience. Or maybe it was the shirt. And why do I seem to end up at those clubs in Portland? And who bought the picture, Doug?
Doug

Post by Doug »

Brock wrote:. . . And that damn dance keeps coming back to haunt me, but it is always fun at parties. But never as fun as the look on Brocks face at the transvestite show when the female impersonator came over to him and got him really nervous. What did she say to you...huh!. .....hahaha touche!

I prefer to think that he/she just picked the hunka-hunka-burning-love looking guy out of the audience. Or maybe it was the shirt. And why do I seem to end up at those clubs in Portland? And who bought the picture, Doug?
Well, as you know Brock...Portland is a fun town, and we're fun people. So there you have it, that why you alway end up having fun when your here.... And yes, I bought four pictures Brock....Want one! :twisted:
Brock

Post by Brock »

Well, as you know Brock...Portland is a fun town, and we're fun people. So there you have it, that why you alway end up having fun when your here.... And yes, I bought four pictures Brock....Want one!

Nah. I can remember it. Vividly. Brock
Harry

Post by Harry »

If you are cutting strips often or if you are using thicker glass a strip cutter is the answer. We build one that is the state of the art. It sells for $400 and is equivalent to those that retail for twice that. Call Waterjet Design 503-615-0144 for information.
Paul Bush

Post by Paul Bush »

Marty wrote:Re a good strip cutter: Judith sells a great one. It may seem expensive but if you do a lot of strip cutting, you'll kick yourself for not having bought one before.

Re the comments on divide-n-conquer cheatin technology: I find it easier to make all the scores first and then break/run them. With 1/4" to 3/8" strips, break a group of 8, then run the middle one (2 groups of 4), etc.

Trying to get 1/8" wide strips out of 1/8" thick glass is an exercise in futility. Cut them out of the thin stuff and double them up.

Marty
Judith who? Details please!

Paul
Paul Bush
Flying Fish Studio
Portland, Oregon
Brock

Post by Brock »

Judith who? Details please!

Paul

Judy Conway at Vitrum. Brock
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
Brock

Post by Brock »

This thread kinda reminds me of the old days. Ain't it great!
Brock
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

I have a template technique where I cut a strip that is the width I want plus the distance from the wheel to the edge of the cutter. Seam the edges and then I place the strip to the right of my L square. I finger tip the alignment and then hand cut. This works for all size templates. For strip cutting I have one for the double size and half size.

Lo tech but accurate if you can make an accurate template.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
The Hobbyist

Thanks Bert, I like lo-tech

Post by The Hobbyist »

Thanks Bert,

That's a great idea. Why didn't I think of that?

I like the lo tech, homemade methods. It leaves more money for glass.

Jim