Learning the art

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Rob Cleve

Learning the art

Post by Rob Cleve »

Greetings! I'm new to the forum and just recently ventured into the wonderful world of Warm Glass. I'm wondering if there are any artists local to Chicago who would be willing to help break in a newbie to kiln technique or if anyone knows of classes/class in Chicago!
Looking forward to chatting with all!
Pat Zmuda

Post by Pat Zmuda »

Hi, Rob:

Welcome! Steve Klein is doing a workshop in October at Talisman Glass in Chicago; Sharon Gilbert of Talisman Glass sometimes teaches a 3-day kiln-forming class; see http://www.talismanglass.com. Also, if you are willing to drive, Susan Slack who sometimes posts on this board teaches beginning kiln-forming also. She is north of the city: you can contact her through the board's private messaging.

Hope this helps to get you started.

Pat in Chicago
Rob Cleve

Post by Rob Cleve »

Pat

Thank you so much for the info. The only person I know right now who does Kiln work with glass lives in Colorado so I'm looking forward to talk to some local artists!
I'll follow up with both of the suggestions!

Rob
Pat Zmuda

Post by Pat Zmuda »

Rob:

Some of us Chicago-area warm glass people (and out-of-state visitors) will be getting together to view SOFA the week after Steve's class. Stay tuned.

Pat in Chicago
Rob Cleve

Post by Rob Cleve »

Hey Pat

<embarassed grin> What's SOFA? I'm sure I'll need to view it to though! haha. Please keep me posted!

Rob
Amy Schleif-Mohr

Post by Amy Schleif-Mohr »

Don't worry Rob, SOFA is Sculptural Object Functional Art exhibit. It is absolutely a NOT miss in Oct.

Amy, one of the out of staters
Rob Cleve

Post by Rob Cleve »

Thanks Amy

I pulled up the website for SOFA and it looks incredible! I'll definitely make time to attend. Your work is beautiful! I've pulled up your website before!

Rob