bubbles galore

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

doc

bubbles galore

Post by doc »

:roll:Help the newbies........we need it :cry: Made my first piece - 15 inch round , clear bottom-black top plus design....fired 300 yada yada up to 1420..wanted tack fuse..got..........bubbles....and full fuse...no thin fire paper......ok next one...used fire paper........large round 17 inch 2 layer plus design.........design was stacked pieces so that i would get a tak fuse......fired lower and slower.......got the tack fuse but bubbles again.....considering it was a fish didnt mind the bubbles.........but not interested in becoming a fisherman........drowing in bubbles ..help? would love to post pics....can anyone explain how.........
dee

Re: bubbles galore

Post by dee »

rj wrote: :roll:Help the newbies........we need it :cry: Made my first piece - 15 inch round , clear bottom-black top plus design....fired 300 yada yada up to 1420..wanted tack fuse..got..........bubbles....and full fuse...no thin fire paper......ok next one...used fire paper........large round 17 inch 2 layer plus design.........design was stacked pieces so that i would get a tak fuse......fired lower and slower.......got the tack fuse but bubbles again.....considering it was a fish didnt mind the bubbles.........but not interested in becoming a fisherman........drowing in bubbles ..help? would love to post pics....can anyone explain how.........
rj - are your shelves flat and smooth? this is one cause of bubbles - also when i fire larger pieces going really slow - 200 or 300 dph - and soaking at 1000 and 1250 for 10 to 15 min means i don't get bubbles - and i use kiln wash on my shelves, not thinfire - as for top temp on a tack fuse i go up to 1275 in my kiln and hold for a while, over 1400 and i get full fuse - you could try 1300 - 1350 for 15 - 30 min and see if you get the layer definition you are looking for....
D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com
doc

thanks

Post by doc »

i think my kiln is firing 'hot'
Tom White

Post by Tom White »

RJ, download "Knowing Your Kiln" from Bullseye at http://www.bullseyeconnection.com/pdfs/ ... tes_01.pdf
to determine just how your kiln is firing. This can save a lot of grief and wasted glass. There's much more useful information on thier Bullseye Connecion site.

Best wishes,
Tom in Texas