Picking up unwanted mold texture

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Mark Selleck

Picking up unwanted mold texture

Post by Mark Selleck »

I just finished my first slumps using 1/2" float in some 16" diameter bowl molds. They came out well, BUT, around the perimeter 2" or so there is a "texture" that I'm guessing is created by the stretching of the glass and it's dragging on the mold. Kind of looks like devit, but I don't think it is. Can I eliminate it, assuming it is what I think it is, by "polishing" the kiln wash surface on the mold? Would a very fine wet/dry sandpaper, maybe 1000-2000 grit, work for such a task? Or am I going for the impossible?

Thanks for any and all help,
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

might be stretching of the tin. rosanna
Barbara Cashman

Post by Barbara Cashman »

It's probably "bloom". Bert Weiss can give you all sorts of advice on this. But I've never been able to remove bloom, once it's been fired. Did you check for tin side? Coat the glass with a devit solution?
Bert Weiss

Re: Picking up unwanted mold texture

Post by Bert Weiss »

Mark Selleck wrote:I just finished my first slumps using 1/2" float in some 16" diameter bowl molds. They came out well, BUT, around the perimeter 2" or so there is a "texture" that I'm guessing is created by the stretching of the glass and it's dragging on the mold. Kind of looks like devit, but I don't think it is. Can I eliminate it, assuming it is what I think it is, by "polishing" the kiln wash surface on the mold? Would a very fine wet/dry sandpaper, maybe 1000-2000 grit, work for such a task? Or am I going for the impossible?

Mark

I have learned to love this look. I have covered it up with frosted or colored organic bottle coating fired to 400ºF.

That kind of satin lace is more and more appealing to my eye. One possible solution is to fire the glass, tin side up.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
ellen abbott

Post by ellen abbott »

Bert, I love that...learn to love what you can't change or fix. Done it myself.

e
Carol

Re: Picking up unwanted mold texture

Post by Carol »

Mark Selleck wrote:I just finished my first slumps using 1/2" float in some 16" diameter bowl molds. They came out well, BUT, around the perimeter 2" or so there is a "texture" that I'm guessing is created by the stretching of the glass and it's dragging on the mold. Kind of looks like devit, but I don't think it is. Can I eliminate it, assuming it is what I think it is, by "polishing" the kiln wash surface on the mold? Would a very fine wet/dry sandpaper, maybe 1000-2000 grit, work for such a task? Or am I going for the impossible?

I had something similar with float, only it was just an inch or so of marking around the perimeter on the underside. Solved the problem by going to a stainless mold (you don't say what you're using) and cutting my blank smaller so the blank fits inside the mold, rather than sitting on the rim of the mold. I've never been sure which variable solved the problem, although I suspect the smaller blank was able to move immediately instead of stretching first.

Carol