Glue-chipping fused

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Dani

Glue-chipping fused

Post by Dani »

Can I glue-chip fused glass without causing stress that results in impending disaster? Has anyone tried this and had success? Thanks.
Barbara Cashman

Post by Barbara Cashman »

Dani, I don't see a reason you should have a problem. If your glass is annealed properly, this would be no more traumatic to the glass than normal sandblasting or carving. Are you going to gluechip in a bag? or in the oven? - Barbara
Dani

Post by Dani »

We usually just cover the stuff and go away for the night! :lol: This idea came up out of laziness.... I need to make some decorative glass for my studio entry that's obscuring and let's light in and I'm too lazy to build stained glass panels for each mullioned section (eight plus a transom). So I thought I'd fuse two pieces of nice clear with layers three and four tack fused in some nice decorative center dingbat.... and then, really obscure each corner with a glue-chipped design. (Then just silicone the units into the mullions, I didn't just say that! :twisted: ) I figured as you mentioned, that with proper annealing it shouldn't be an issue.... and then I think back on that flying glass when the chipping process really starts going good! Eeek. I thought I'd better check with the pros first! I can just see all those little panels as they go bouncing off the ceiling.... talk about kitty entertainement! :shock:
Dani

Post by Dani »

On a related note, Barbara.... I'm half-thinking if these panels work okay to design some inexpensive kitchen cabinet door inserts that are fused and chipped. I also thought about offering matching tiles for each design. What do you think? Have you thought of adding kitchen cabinet inserts to your product line? Does the idea have possibilities or is it a real dawg?