Stains from fruit on glass

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

DonMcClennen

Stains from fruit on glass

Post by DonMcClennen »

I've just noticed stains from Bananas on two large fruit bowls. They were made from Spectrum "96" a doule thick clear base with an opal red and opal yellow design on top. The stain is on the opal surface and will not wash off with dish detergent. It is not a coloured stain just slight markings like you get if you let water dry on a surface without wiping. I figure it must have somthing to do with the fruit acids reacting with the opal glass surface. Any suggestions on cleaning off without damaging the high gloss finish? Thanks, Don. :(
"The Glassman"
charlie

Post by charlie »

sandblast and fire polish in the original mold.
Kelly Burke Makuch

Post by Kelly Burke Makuch »

Before trying that --which will work. I would suggest you try 2 denture cleaner tablets and water --let it fizz and soak. If that doesn't work for the glass it's a great toilet bowl cleaner.
Maybe try baking soda and vinegar soak. Good luck!
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Re: Stains from fruit on glass

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

Don McClennen wrote:I've just noticed stains from Bananas on two large fruit bowls. They were made from Spectrum "96" a doule thick clear base with an opal red and opal yellow design on top. The stain is on the opal surface and will not wash off with dish detergent. It is not a coloured stain just slight markings like you get if you let water dry on a surface without wiping. I figure it must have somthing to do with the fruit acids reacting with the opal glass surface. Any suggestions on cleaning off without damaging the high gloss finish? Thanks, Don. :(
U might try rubbing with cloth n pumace

But U would need 2 do this all over the bowl

While we on cleaning

Got a stainless steel vacum flask with tannin inside from tea

Tryed neat bleach but still there any ideas

Thanks

UK Tea Boy
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

hi brian, oxalic acid will work. it is sold in a crystal form as wood bleach over here. it is also the active ingrediant in zud tm cleanser. i use it to remove tannin stains from boat hulls. a mild solution of this will remove what would take a smoking concentration of muriatic to do the job. rosanna
charlie

Post by charlie »

rosanna gusler wrote:hi brian, oxalic acid will work. it is sold in a crystal form as wood bleach over here. it is also the active ingrediant in zud tm cleanser. i use it to remove tannin stains from boat hulls. a mild solution of this will remove what would take a smoking concentration of muriatic to do the job. rosanna
it's also the main ingredient in barkeeper's friend, sold in the laundry soap dept of the grocery store. i use it to remove tannin marks from oak, along with removing hard water stains from glass shower doors or tile.
Paul Tarlow

Post by Paul Tarlow »

charlie wrote:sandblast and fire polish in the original mold.
What about just brining the bowl up to a high enough temp to burn out organics -- but before the glass moves -- would that do it?

- Paul
charlie

Post by charlie »

Paul Tarlow wrote:
charlie wrote:sandblast and fire polish in the original mold.
What about just brining the bowl up to a high enough temp to burn out organics -- but before the glass moves -- would that do it?

- Paul
i doubt that it's an actual stain, but is an etching of the surface.