Looking For Black Shiny String

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Randy W

Looking For Black Shiny String

Post by Randy W »

I found a use for those pesky broken pot melts. Cut em up and make pendants out of them. But what I need to finish them is something to hang them from. My neighbor lady had a spool of black shiny string. She doesn't remember where she got it or what it's called. There is no marking on the spool. It just reads 100 feet. I traded her a pendant and three feet of string for the spool. But it doesn't go very far and I need more. I've searched some sights that sell jewelry making supplies and didn't have any luck. I also searched on Google for nylon cord, nylon string, satin cord, and satin string. The search for satin string brought up 98,000 sights all trying to sell me satin string bikinis. 8) I didn't buy any but did get distracted for a while.
SO, can somebody please help me out here, what is that black string looking stuff called that is pictured above, and where can I get it?

Thanks, Randy
Last edited by Randy W on Wed Aug 27, 2003 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jane Lindell

Post by Jane Lindell »

Randy:

You are on the right track. Black satin cord from a jewelry supplier is probably what you have there. I get it from Rio Grande, but online try Fire Mountain

http://www.firemountaingems.com/thread.asp

or Rings & Things

https://www.rings-things.com/cgi-bin/ha ... tem=03.htm

Places like Michaels or Hancocks will have spools in their bead departments also.
lauren

Post by lauren »

try a search for rattail (that's what the 'satin string' is called) i think i got mine for like $30 a spool. it was a while ago too so i might be very wrong about that. there's always leather cord, but that gets pricey...lately i've been using rubber cord, 3 yards for a dollar, good stuff. that cord used in your picture i think i've seen in places like michaels or ac moore sold as 'craft cord', but in smaller quantities...like two or three feet for 99 cents. dunno tho.

if you want, you can try silver chains (and up the asking price for the whole pendant accordingly) i get mine from a seller on ebay for $1.25 each (for a 18" box chain) the quality is great, i haven't had any problems with them. here's a link to the sellers ebay store http://www.stores.ebay.com/id=4340493

can i ask how much you sell those pendants for?

enjoy

peace
- lauren
Randy W

Post by Randy W »

Thank you so much Jane and Lauren. I found exactly what I was looking for.
2mm Rattail 60% rayon/40% cotton Black Satin Cord. :D

Randy
Cheryl Wade

Post by Cheryl Wade »

Randy
Please, please, please - where did you get the pendant hangers? (are they called bails?) They are exactly what I've been looking for but can't find them anywhere despite many Google searches. The only ones I have seen are either too patterned or are for set-in stones. I want something simple to glue on the back of pendants, yours are perfect. Does your supplier do mail order and to the UK?
Many thanks in advance
Cheryl
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

randy, 3mm looks even better.
Randy W

Post by Randy W »

Hi Cheryl, I got my bails from here.
http://www.stainedglasswarehouse.com/
I don't know if they ship worldwide. If not, let me know and we can work something out.

Hi Kitty, the few sites I went to only carried up to 2mm cord. Where do you find 3mm?

Thanks, Randy
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

let me check, randy. im rushing out the door. will get back to you.
Steve Immerman

Post by Steve Immerman »

Randy,

Michaels has satin cord in their beading department in little packages. Very inexpensive.

These also look nice on "neck rings" available at Firemountain Gems.

Riogrande sells rubber cord with clasps at each end, as does http://www.ugotglass.com/findings.htm

Cheryl,

The bails are also available from Nancy Tang at http://www.ugotglass.com/findings.htm, lincoln distributors and Ed Hoy.

Steve
Mark Kemp

Post by Mark Kemp »

Be aware that rattail catches on things and frays easily. I found it becoming shopworn before items sold. When I use cord on something now, it's usually waxed cotton cord. It looks a lot like leather cord. It's stiffer than rattail, but holds up well, and I like the appearance.
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

randy, what mark kemp says has merit. i used to use silken cord in a variety of colors, but these days i'm making my pendants differently, and i'm using thin leather cord, with a fairly shiny black finish. black suede, round, looks sensational, but it's very hard to find. suede is often flat, and that doesnt look good.

nonetheless, when using silky cords, the fatter you can get it, the better, IMHO. do a google search for Chinese Knots, and see if you find distributors for cording. this kind of knot-tying for jewelry is big here, because of the Asian influence on things, and putting a ordinary knot, not even a special knot, up against either side of a pendant looks good (assuming it has a channel cast inside it). i got my cords from Fire Mtn Gems, mostly 2mm, and i think Rio Grande has the 3mm. i'll look around thru my resources here, and shoot you an email if i find some more info you can use. here's one ... scroll down and see the sources they mention.
http://www.chineseknotting.org/supplies/
and finally, i looked at your pic again ... randy, i kinda like the stuff you have on that pendant. i'm not really nuts about the shiny cord ... i think something less shiny, earthier, hand-woven look, would complement those pot-melt pendants nicely.
miss kitty
Jack Bowman

Post by Jack Bowman »

About glueing the bails on. What glue and how well does it hold. I have some E6000, will that work? I also have some UV curing glue and plenty of UV here in Utah. Do glues really hold for the long haul?

Jack
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

that E6000 will work ok. i use One Ton Epoxy by Devcon, and cure it in the oven. the bond is excellent. dont know anything about the UV stuff, but i'm sure it works, too. the test, of course, is to glue one on, like with the E6000, and then try to tear it off a week later. as mentioned in a zillion previous threads, the E6000 doesn't work for me in the tropics, but lots of other people swear by it. kitty.
Cheryl Wade

Post by Cheryl Wade »

Randy
Thank you, what a great site and fantastic prices. They do ship worldwide - p&p + $6 handling charge. Credit card in hand, I'm going to order some now.
thanks again
Cheryl
Randy W

Post by Randy W »

You're welcome Cheryl and good luck with your pendants.

Kitty and Mark, thanks for the advice. I ordered some 3mm rattail for now until I see how these things sell. Leather is quite a bit more expensive and I want to make sure my pieces are leather worthy before I invest the extra money.

Steve, thanks for the additional links. I added them to my ever growing favorites list.

Randy