Sharpening glass blade with sharpening stone

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

sadiesjewels

Sharpening glass blade with sharpening stone

Post by sadiesjewels »

Ok ... it's time to sharpen my mk 215 gl blade on my tile saw.

In the archives Dee (?) says to use a silicon carbide dressing stick and just slice a piece off when you need to sharpen it. I have a silicon carbide sharpening stone that I bought to do the job. Is it the same thing? Or is the dressing stick a different grade to the sharpening stone and I will end up removing the little diamond cutters?

Sadie
Allan Gott

Post by Allan Gott »

I would strongly suggest asking Bob Stephan at http://www.hisglassworks.com for his advice. He'll give you the straight goods regardless of where your equipment originates. He's a regular at craftweb too.
sadiesjewels

Post by sadiesjewels »

Thanks Alan,

I'll try Craftweb as well as his glassworks to see what they say.

Sadie
dee

Re: Sharpening glass blade with sharpening stone

Post by dee »

sadiesjewels wrote:Ok ... it's time to sharpen my mk 215 gl blade on my tile saw.

In the archives Dee (?) says to use a silicon carbide dressing stick and just slice a piece off when you need to sharpen it. I have a silicon carbide sharpening stone that I bought to do the job. Is it the same thing? Or is the dressing stick a different grade to the sharpening stone and I will end up removing the little diamond cutters?

Sadie
sadie - i buy the s/c blocks at lowe's and just slice off a piece or a new method i've been using is to just hold it against the 2 sides of the blade and tilt it so the front edge goes into the block to refresh the blade - i had asked bob at hisglassworks.com and he said the s/c block is fine - eventually the diamonds wear off too much as i discovered to my irritation today but it keeps the blade going for a long time...
D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Re: Sharpening glass blade with sharpening stone

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

sadiesjewels wrote:Ok ... it's time to sharpen my mk 215 gl blade on my tile saw.

Sadie
This method removes the crud n some of the substrate the diomond is in which brings out fresh diomond

But first check the bed is true 2 the blade n any other weirdness

Yes the process will wear out the blade a little so not a kind thing U wanna do 2 often

Yes Bob over His is one of the good guys

Brian