HELP... KILN CRAZY

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

PDXBarbara

HELP... KILN CRAZY

Post by PDXBarbara »

Help? Suggestions???
Anybody out there from SKUTT?????

Kiln: Skutt 1414 (coffin)
Problem: Error message #4... manual says that's a software problem. "Program rramping down and temperature more than 50 degrees above last hold temperature. Error must persist for more than 18 seconds before error is triggered."

Situation: last night around 9 pm, all was well. I'm slumping an 8" diameter circle that's about 3/8" thick. Supervised the slump & all was well. Crashed to about 1150 & went home. This morning: I go to the studio to open the kiln to finish to room temp... & the controller says "ERR4." Temp. still at about 1005F. Double-checked the program (#2) I used... & it was all programmed in correctly. Thinking maybe the problem is just with #2, I switched to #3 and programmed in the anneal program, giving it a slight ramp up first in case the controller needs to ramp up before it will ramp down. Here's what I reprogrammed into #3: Remember, start temp. is 1005. 4 segments. R1 AFAP to 1015 Hold 1 minute. R2 AFAP to 980 Hold 90. R3 50/hr to 900 Hold 45. R4 100/hr to 700 Hold 1 minute. THen off.
Here's what happened: went to 1015. the controller display said it went to R2, but if fact raced up to 1024. So I turned it off, double-checked the program, & then turned it back on. Now the display read 1024F, and also said the program was completed. Pressed the off button.
Next, I peeked inside... the top elements are off. But the side elements are moderately aglow. I left it plugged in and raced home to call Skutt (it's Sunday PLUS holiday so of course nobody's there) & then my distributor... Cline's, as the manual instructs. Nobody can really help me there, but I had to make sure.

SO. at the moment, the kiln's still hovering around 1000F (I hope), and I'm thinking of trying this: Unplug the kiln, plug it back in , and hope it resets itself like computers sometimes do.... If it IS a software problem, maybe it'll at least get my piece annealed properly. Even if it seems to be working, I'll have to check it often as it anneals, just to be sure. Only other thing I can think of: turn it off, & hope for the best.

Anyone????

Thanks,
OnlyHappensToMeOnHolidaysGirl
Barbara Bader
Jack Bowman

Post by Jack Bowman »

I'll take a shot. The first ramp must be upward as you say. I don't know if the small one you put in is enough.

I would unplug and wait a few seconds. Turn back on and let temp drop to the mid 900 range and then start a program that will first ramp to the 1100 (not AFAP, what's the hurry?) and then will go to your anneal program. With the temps I mentioned you should do no harm to your piece.

I don't feel the 10F differential you started with was enough. Just my guess.

Jack
PDXBarbara

Post by PDXBarbara »

Thanks, Jack. I'll go try it. I'll let you know what happens.

Best, Barbara
Barbara Bader
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

I think you have a stuck relay. The online info Skutt has doesn't say ERR 4 is a software problem, it just says;

"Err4 Program ramping down and temperature more than 50° above last hold temperature. Error must persist for more than 18 seconds before error is triggered."

So if a relay is stuck on, the kiln won't cool and you'll get an error.

If the side elements are on and the program says they should be off and you unplug the kiln, you should hear the relay open unless it is stuck.

Ron
PDXBarbara

Post by PDXBarbara »

Hi Ron & Jack...
Well, after a long day messing with the kiln, I think I pulled thru the anneal... time will tell.
Here's the dope:
Jack, I tried your method twice... but the bottom elements kicked back on when I plugged the kiln back in... even after a few minutes. So, I scrounged up all my fiber paper & fire bricks & piled it all on top of the kiln to try to help it drift to R.T. as slowly as possible. I unplugged it. When it dropped to 860F, I thought it might be good to add a little heat to keep it slow... and just for fun I programmed in a segment, which worked for some reason. So I brought it down in individual segments. Big time-eater, but I got it down safely... I think.

Ron... thanks for the info... I could have sworn my Skutt 1414 manual said that ERR4 was software. I'll check it again tomorrow when I go in to see the results....

I'll be calling Skutt Tuesday!

Happy Labor Day...
Barbara
Barbara Bader
sadiesjewels

Post by sadiesjewels »

HI Barbara,

It's probably too late to be of any help, but my Skutt manual says

Err 4 - Program ramping down and temperature more than 50 degrees above last hold temperature. Error must persist for more than 18 seconds before the error is triggered.

I have a small Skutt kiln but I thin the glassmaster controllers are possibly the same, or at least a related animal.

I did have one error message once - I couldn't find my notes on it, but the very helpful guy at Skutt said it was caused by a power glitch (none of my other electrical tools - like the microwave were affected). He had me switch the kiln off at the fuse box and restart it again and since then I've not had any problems.

Good luck in solving your problem - nothing worse than a kiln on the blink!

Sadie
PDXBarbara

Post by PDXBarbara »

Ron & Sadie... I don't know which is weirder: my brain or my controller's brain. I reviewed my manual AGAIN... & it doesn't say anything about a software problem for ERR4. Geez. I guess Mars is still awfully close to Portland.

I'm calling Skutt in a few minutes... it's 9 am here.

BB
Barbara Bader
PDXBarbara

SKUTT TO THE RESCUE

Post by PDXBarbara »

Mike Hampel & Perry at Skutt are taking SUCH good care of me & my crazy 1414 kiln. New relays, & new circuit boards -- along with a kiln repair person -- will be coming my way. Or else they'll come to the studio & take the kiln back to their factory for the fixes. This is one of the benefits of buying from local businesses!

On top (bear with me, yes it's a pun) of that, they're sending me a new lid with elements. As some of you may remember, my 1414 was one of the first off the line... nearly a beta version. Skutt took it back for fixes & updates (elements & controller bugs & adding peepholes) about a month after I first received it in early 2002. Since then, I've continued to have problems with the top AND side elements falling out, which is SUCH a drag.
The new lid is also a new design, Mike tells me. The coils are smaller and fit so much better in the recesses, that THEY DON'T EVEN USE PINS. Time will tell...

Thanks for you help, everyone.

Barbara
Barbara Bader
Nancy Juhasz

Post by Nancy Juhasz »

Hi Barara, Sure hope the new lid works out for you. I have a Skutt GM814 that has creeping side coil and pins trying to fall out of the lid. I live in Ohio so they sent someone out to repin my kiln after I they had me try to fix the problem and me telling them I would not be buying another Skutt since the service was not up to par here in Ohio. The repair man came and repined the coil and top. Next firing the side coil started to creep and the pins came loose in the top again. They are now sending me longer pins for me to repain again. If this doesn't work I am going to require a new top and perhaps a new side coil that is properly stretched. I will be watching your comments on the new lid. Nanc
Nanc
PDXBarbara

Post by PDXBarbara »

Hi Nanc... I count my blessing as to my location here in Portland. Nearly all of my glass needs & dreams & desires are near. I'll keep you updated on my 1414 tale.

Where are you living in Ohio? I grew up in Dayton.

Barbara
Barbara Bader
Nancy Juhasz

Post by Nancy Juhasz »

Hi Barbara, I live in the Massillon-Canton area about an hour south of Cleveland. Do keep me updated. Nanc
Nanc
PDXBarbara

Post by PDXBarbara »

A-OK, Nanc...
BB
Barbara Bader