Too Much Super Spray

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Ross

Too Much Super Spray

Post by Ross »

I've used entirely too much Super Spray on a large wafer that sits on top of a 16" piece. Any suggestions as to how to eliminate the haze nd save the wafer part of the piece?
Amy Schleif-Mohr

Post by Amy Schleif-Mohr »

Are you sure you used too much, or did you not fire hot enough. I have had Superspray not fully cure at 1300F.

Amy
Ross

Post by Ross »

I'm sure it was too much. I went up to 1425 for a full fuse.
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

Ross wrote:I'm sure it was too much. I went up to 1425 for a full fuse.
When I've had that problem, too much or not fully matured, I take it to full fuse temps to get it to mature fully. For me in my kilns, 1480 is the temp I need to achieve to get SuperSpray to mature. Others have a fully matured SuperSpray overglaze at lower temps, but I've not experienced it at lower temps than 1480 for SuperSpray on large surfaces.

If you can take it to higher than 1425 without altering your piece, try it. I'll second Amy in my vote that you havn't got it fully matured.

I know the bottle says it matures at 1300, but not so in my world...not even close.
Ross

Post by Ross »

Thanks... I'll crank it up when I get home tonight!

Ross
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

I've also put too much SuperSpray on pieces a few times. It leaves a whitish residue in areas when fired.

What I've done to remove it is to use my flexshaft tool with a tapered diamond bit and lightly ground off the whitish areas where it was over-applied. Then I fire the piece to a full fuse again to remove the marks where I ground it. Usually this works, but there have been times where I've had to do it again because I missed some spots in my effort not to go too deep.

Good luck!

Geri
Ross

Post by Ross »

Yeah, I was wondering if I should sandblast the surface in an attempt to remove the haze. I'm afraid I'll damage the wafer!
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

Go easy with the sandblasting if you do it...maybe an etching cream would work better...

Good luck!

Geri