Drilling out a bubble

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Cliff Swanson

Drilling out a bubble

Post by Cliff Swanson »

I'm working on eliminating surface distortion due to a bubble. I've just drilled into the bubble, but have not drilled all the way through the full 6 mm thickness, just into the bubble, so it now appears like a crater on a volcano :). Is it necessary to drill completely through the full thickness of the blank, or is simply opening up a hole sufficient before laying in some frit and firing to full fuse to mend the defect?

Cliff
charlie

Post by charlie »

if the bubble doesn't go all the way through, then there's no need to drill all the way through. ime, it'll be hard, if not impossible, to make all marks left over by the bubble go away. you might as well put something over it and make it a design element.
Terry Ow-Wing

Post by Terry Ow-Wing »

Make sure that all the undercuts of the broken bubble are taken away - so thath they do not trap air again. I fill with frit and sometimes I add a tiny piece of dichro (part of the design)to deflect the light so that the uneveness wont be so apparent.

best of luck.
Terry O.
Terry Ow-Wing Designs
Kilnformed and Lampworked Glass Art
http://GlassArt.weebly.com