Pink suggestions

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

lauren

Pink suggestions

Post by lauren »

i've been asked to make some pieces of jewelry for key speakers at a breast cancer conference. along with everything else, the jewelry needs to be pink. i, of the very un-pinkishness, have no idea what sort of pinks are available from any of the manufacturers, and since the conference is the 20th i don't really have time to order the wrong thing. BE would be nice, but since i won't be using any other glass spectrum would work too. primarily looking for transparents, but if i find the perfect opal pink i can make that work.

i'm eyeballing b1421 erbium pink and b1215 pale lavender strikes pink....are either of these 'breast cancer' pink?

thanks for the help

peace
- lauren
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

CBS makes a very good pink dichroic, called Green/Magenta. it fires up to a nice pink, and looks best fired coated side down. you can put it on black, cobalt, raisin, cranberry, orange, or purple gold, and get very nice results. i use it quite a bit, and tone it down with a miniscule piece of thin light amber, with gold dichro on top of that. it creates a soft sunset.

CBS makes a premium color that's hot pink, but i dont recommend it. too flashy, and it spatters micro dicro all over the place.

Charlie Holden was talking about a good place that sold all the colors in quarter sheets, for good prices. it was called AA, i think. maybe he'll see this post and tell you where that place is. you probably dont want to buy a whole sheet from CBS ... that's 16" disk, about $125 plus freight.
Alecia Helton

Pink Suggestions

Post by Alecia Helton »

Lauren,

Personally, I don't think either of the BE transparent pinks are very pink once they are fired. BE 0301 pink opal is a good mid range pink.

Hope this helps.

Alecia
Alecia Helton

Pink suggestions

Post by Alecia Helton »

The web site is http://www.aaproducts.com. The have cbs dichroic in jewelry size which is 1 3/4 x 4 inches, 4 x 4 inches, znc 8 x 10 inches.

I buy from them frequently.

Alecia
Alecia Helton
Wear Original Wonders!
Carrollton TX
Morganica

Pink suggestions

Post by Morganica »

You might want to call the Bullseye resource center in Portland. They had a marvelous exhibit a couple of months ago showing the wide range of shades they got from different batches of a cool-toned pink opal (301, referenced earlier) produced at different times. The shades strike a bit, and after firing ranged all the way from bubblegum pink to a really beautiful violet.

I bought some of each color and have been having a ball combining them for shading effects. One of those shades may come close to what you're looking for.

I'd contact the resource center directly (888.220.3002) and see what they have left.
charlie

Post by charlie »

i've used the lavendar striking to pink. it turns a darkish bubble gum pink, and isn't transparent at all. i put some over dense white, and it appeared just a little bit pinker.
lauren

Post by lauren »

thanks for all the suggestions!

i just called the BE resource center, they apparently don't have anything left from that exhibition. the woman i spoke with said erbium pink sounds like it'd be my best bet...she said it was very pale, but maybe if i used a couple layers of it?

alecia, can i ask what you found with the erbium pink? was it just too pale? or is it not really pink after it's fired?

gracias...
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

Lauren, why not go with the opals? If it is a pin or pendant the transparent erbium will probably disappear against anything but the lightest of skin colors. You might want to test transparent neolavender over an opal pink. The neolav tends to make color come to life, sort of like adding salt, garlic, or lemon to soup...

Or use dichro, which would have some pop.

Barbara
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

erbium pink is too pale, i think. you'd have to put it on white to see it, and i dont think that would look very good. also, it's one of the more expensive colors. i think you need an opal, not a transparent, if it's going to be a pin, otherwise background color (and the pin hardware) shows thru. i made earrings from erbium a few years ago ... it's a pretty color, but about half the color of pale pink champagne. it's very, very light, and will not read as pink in the way you probably hope for. here's a picture of the pink dichro i mentioned. there are some other colors in this chunk, but the pink in the foreground is what i'm talking about.

lauren

Post by lauren »

Lauren, why not go with the opals?
bullheaded, i guess ;) no, i have this whole vision in my head...i wanna make a couple designs, and i want to incorporate the ribbon symbol in most of em. i'm already doing it with the aforementioned pink dichro, going to etch the ribbon...using opal on a couple too (found a piece of the pink opal in my stash, it's a great color) i was also thinking of cutting out a ribbon shape in fiber paper then laying a couple layers of glass over that to get the relief of the ribbon in the glass. that would need transparent...but you're right, i didn't think about it, the pink would wash out against skin tones. hmmmmm...nuts i was excited about that one too. still, maybe i'll try a couple. but i'll need to come up with a couple other ideas...

oy, and i just found out apparently two of those key speakers i'm making pieces for are hillary clinton and the wife of the surgeon general. yeesh.
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

lauren, were you asked to duplicate the ribbon symbol in these pins? if not, maybe just working with the pink concept would be more wear-able. i wouldnt wear a pink ribbon symbol, and for all the work you're going to do, it would be a shame if it ended up in the dark recesses of somebody's drawer. maybe a wave form in pink dichro on black, long enough to put a pin back on. lapel and jacket pins are popular with power women, as shown by Madeline Albright's use of them. a stick pin could be good, too, but all the ones i've tried were lousy hardware. too weak. if i thought a piece of my jewelry would end up in the possession of people who might wear it, i think i'd shy away from that ribbon symbol, even though it's the logo for the organization. i'm tired of colored ribbons for various causes, and little flags everywhere ... grump grump grump!! my 2 cents.
lauren

Post by lauren »

interesting..see this is event is a demographic i have absolutely no perspective on, other than the fact we're female [from what i've been told, the event is mainly attended by women who are 40-50ish, upper middle class, and (most) have had breast cancer.] so i'm kinda planning in the dark here. i'm bringing my regular work to sell, since that's what attracted the organizer to me in the first place; i'm making uber special pieces for the speakers, then i was going to make the ribbon designs a fundraiser of sorts, where i'd donate 50% of the sale of those pieces to the b.c. research organization. i just assumed the ribbon would be appropriate for something like that...but i guess you're right. drawing board, i'm back!

i just found out about this sunday so i'm still kinda scatterbrained on my ideas.

thanks for the input :)
Last edited by lauren on Tue Sep 09, 2003 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

ok. may i toss out another idea for the uber pins? perhaps a dichro ribbon that is an abstraction of the one we all know. it could be red/pink/gold dichro on black, and bent/folded, like the pinko item i'm crabbing about. people might like the abstraction of the form.

congrats on being asked, by the way. that's a nice little item for your vitae. a few bragging rights.
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

I think the ribbon would be great myself. Yah everyone does it, but that's because people wear it. it is a highly recognizable symbol that states the wearers concern about an issue. I have often thought about doing pink ribbon jewelry in glass (before the Red Cross I did research in women's cancers). Plus, if you are thinking about it as a fundraiser, I would expect it to fly! Go for it Laurel! P.s. what about a relief glass keychain thingie? (I like the idea of relief ribbons)
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
Alecia Helton

Pink Suggestions

Post by Alecia Helton »

Lauren,

Sorry for the late reply, but I've been out all afternoon. As others have alreadly said, erbium pink is just too pale.

Last spring I had a commission to make a blue ribbon pin for a child abuse prevention charity, It's an interesting challenge. Good luck Lauren.

Alecia
Alecia Helton
Wear Original Wonders!
Carrollton TX
Monica

flashy pink ribbon

Post by Monica »

if you're planning to make multiples for fundraising, may I suggest a pink Pearl-ex shape stenciled on thin black (a pin that's too heavy is very undesirable). Perhaps save the dichro pins for the key note speakers.
lauren

Post by lauren »

lol i'm not quite sure where it got started i was making pins...i'm doing mainly necklaces, a few bracelets, maybe some earrings....but now that it's been mentioned pins aren't a bad idea and your suggestion had been duly noted. i liked the keychain idea too....

thanks for all the brainstorming from everybody, by the way. wasn't expected and as it turns out MUCH appreciated, i never would have had half these ideas...

time to start firing away....

peace
- l
Joseph Tracy

Post by Joseph Tracy »

You may know this but the tranparent dicros when fused onto white turn a beautiful pink.
Diane Trepanier

Post by Diane Trepanier »

How about using powder? The transparents are more translucent than transparent when fired. All the little micro bubbles. I hve used pink striker transparent on clear and it fused very close to the breast cancer pink. Maybe be add alittle trans. neo-lavender on top to brighten. For detail, how about using a little gold luster pen? Or the halo luster gold? Or even gold mica? I do like the idea of relief firing, it is unusal enough that I think it would attact enough attention. And I do not see anything wrong with the ribbon form. It is instantly identifiable. And that's the idea isn't it? \:D/
Diane Trepanier
Solfyre
Designer, glass, wire, beads, etc.