Need help with jen-ken kiln stand

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Patricia O'Neill

Need help with jen-ken kiln stand

Post by Patricia O'Neill »

I just received a jen-ken oval 13.
The stand looks already put together. Although... there are two two extra pieces of metal that should go somewhere.
No information in the kiln manual, Marty is gone for the week and the factory does not answer the phone... I thought that someone here might be able to help me.
The stand measures about 30" x 27" and is 9" tall. It looks small for the kiln. Are those 2 pieces 27" long each extension? but in this case I would need 4 of them because the stand is like double leveled. I don't understand and I am not much of a mecanic....

I will really appreciate any help. Thank you in advance.
Patricia
charlie

Post by charlie »

did you investigate the jenken site? they may have an assembly manual online?

a picture is worth a 1000 words. i can't figure out what you have from your description.
Patricia O'Neill

here is a picture.... (hope that works... first time I post a picture)

I forgot to say that I have a baggie with bolt and nuts. Must be for thow two bars. But where do I put them????

Thanks,
Patricia
Patricia O'Neill

OK, did not worked....
anyway, the link is http://www.oneillglassart.com/tempo/kilnstand.jpg
charlie

Post by charlie »

either you're missing some pieces, or they're extra side rails. is the bottom of the kiln the same size as the top of the stand? maybe there's supposed to be some sort of brackets so that these go across and support the middle of the bottom of the kiln.
Patricia O'Neill

Yes, the stand is about the size of the kiln, if you forget the oval side.
The bottom of the kiln is reinforced by a sheet of stainless steel, so I think it does not need more support.
I was thinking that maybe those rails had to be screwed in place on the top of the stand, in front and back. To kind of block the kiln on the stand and prevent it to move when opening the lid (???).
Although my other kiln does not have that and it does not move....

Maybe it's useless parts just here to confuse a girl. I do not like having remaining parts after I put something together.

Thanks,
Patricia
Clifford Ross

Post by Clifford Ross »

How about two additional supports running across the width to cut the span down to 1/3 of the current width. See if there are 4 ( or 8 ) additional nuts and bolts to attach the two rails with. :P :lol: :)
Ron Bell

Post by Ron Bell »

I just got an Oval 9 which is the same Kiln only not as deep. I did not get the extra bars, but I suspect Clifford has the answer i.e. for extra support if required. One additional thing I would do is take the frame out and have adjustable casters welded on the bottom of the frame. You will want to move it around and level it and you won't want it pulling off the frame when you try to pull it. I got the (heavy duty) casters at Home Depot for about $35.00 and it cost me another $25 to have them welded on. It really makes the kiln easier to work with.

I love the kiln except for the current problem I am having with an overly sensitive Power Failure setting.

Good Luck
Ron Bell
Black Creek Glass
charlie

Post by charlie »

Patricia O'Neill wrote:Yes, the stand is about the size of the kiln, if you forget the oval side.
The bottom of the kiln is reinforced by a sheet of stainless steel, so I think it does not need more support.
I was thinking that maybe those rails had to be screwed in place on the top of the stand, in front and back. To kind of block the kiln on the stand and prevent it to move when opening the lid (???).
Although my other kiln does not have that and it does not move....

Maybe it's useless parts just here to confuse a girl. I do not like having remaining parts after I put something together.

Thanks,
Patricia
that actually sounds like a reasonable use for them.

i'd second the idea about wheels, although i put my kiln stand on another stand that had a furniture dolly under it. this is so i can wheel my kiln outside to fire when i have something stinky in it.

i always have extra parts left over when i work on my motorcycle. isn't that what you're supposed to have?
Judy Schnabel

Post by Judy Schnabel »

Pat,

I believe you just received some extra rails. I have the same kiln, but 9" high. My frame doesn't have the extra rails on the bottom that you show in the picture. Maybe yours (13") is a little heavier and needs more support. :?:

The longest rails are about 30". There are two of them and two shorter ones, along with four vertical rails.

FYI -- my oval kiln fires a lot hotter than my Jen-Ken 24s.

Hope this helps.

Judy
Patricia O'Neill

Big thanks to all of you.

I just talked to Randy from Jen-Ken and he said that the two bars are made to reinforce in the middle. He even sent me a picture!
They are not necessary for this kiln but for whatever reason, they shipped me a stand made for a much heavier kiln.

A while ago, I purchased a MK saw and I had parts left. The guys at MK are still scratching their head wondering where this stuff is going. The saw is working fine though :))

Thank you again.
Patricia
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

Ron Bell wrote:
I love the kiln except for the current problem I am having with an overly sensitive Power Failure setting.

Good Luck
Ron, the same thing was happening to me a few weeks ago when we were having all of those storms. Everytime we would have a slight fluctuation in the power, even when there was no full loss of power, I would get the damned PF. and with no program on the fly, I would have to end the cycle and re-program the kiln to finish the cycle. Grumble grumble grumble....

Still love my kiln though!

B
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
TrishV

Post by TrishV »

I have an oval 13 and agree with Judy that you just got extra parts. I know you will enjoy your kiln.
TrishV