arranging glass

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

slats

arranging glass

Post by slats »

I am arranging a 2 layer plus design piece. The bottom layer is red transulecent - the top clear (both BE 90).....then various 90 coe pieces. My question is....Does the top layer of clear HAVE TO BE a solid piece of glass ( a bit larger than bottom) layer? When I cut the glass it broke into two large pieces ( 16 inch circle). Could I just put them down and disquise the 'break' with my design? Could I glue them together? What would happen during the firing? :roll: My question also applies in the reverse....could I use two pieces that broke for the bottom layer topped by a solid piece? Help much appreciated. :wink:
charlie

Post by charlie »

ime, whichever way you do it, the break will be apparent. there'll be a thin line there. you have to disguise it somehow.
slats

break

Post by slats »

Thanks Charlie, but will it shift and move during firing...
charlie

Re: break

Post by charlie »

doctac wrote:Thanks Charlie, but will it shift and move during firing...
no, it'll stay put.

if you put the clear on the bottom, the color will seep down into the crack, making it be a tiny bit more color in that area and you'll see a dark line through the color.

if you put the clear on the top, you'll most likely see it as a shadow on top of the color, as what happens is that the 2 pieces of clear shrink away from each other when heated, and then flow back together. anything in that crack that opens gets sealed in, and causes the mark.
Terry Ow-Wing

Post by Terry Ow-Wing »

whenever I had a crack like that I usually make it even wider (artistically) :wink: and fill in with "design" elements....I just go with it and avoid fighting it - it may lead you down some design ideas you would have never thought of in the first place.

-Terry O.
Terry Ow-Wing Designs
Kilnformed and Lampworked Glass Art
http://GlassArt.weebly.com