slumping bottles

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

cathie

slumping bottles

Post by cathie »

I know this is probably somthing that has been explained a dozen times but if you could please help me out :wink:
I would like to know how to slump bottle, how to keep them from rolling and I saw somthing about wire,, what is this for.
thanks so much
Cathie :?: [-o<
Dione Roberts

Post by Dione Roberts »

http://www.warmglass.com/Bottles.htm

There is a great tutorial for bottles at the above site. You will find firing schedules and a lot of things in the archives. There is a lot of information from Judy Schneibel (I hope the spelling is correct). The wire you use can be copper wire but nichrome high temperature wire works really well and can made into a loop and inserted into the neck for a hanging loop.

I notice someone is selling a 15" sagging mold for bottles now. I don't know much about it. It might make bottles into a cracker type dish...I'm just not sure!
Dione
:D
cathie

Post by cathie »

Thanks so much \:D/
Dione Roberts

Post by Dione Roberts »

No problem...I think the correct spelling of the bottle ladies last name is
Schnabel. :oops:

Dione
quill

Post by quill »

Schnabel.
As in 'Schnabel, Black Label?'

Sorry, I couldn't resist although I am probably the only one here old enough to remember that old ad.
Jack Bowman

Post by Jack Bowman »

quill wrote:
Schnabel.
As in 'Schnabel, Black Label?'

Sorry, I couldn't resist although I am probably the only one here old enough to remember that old ad.
I remember it as Mabel.

Jack
Stephie

Post by Stephie »

I remember, It was a joke Jack.
Steph
Jack Bowman

Post by Jack Bowman »

Stephie wrote:I remember, It was a joke Jack.
Steph
Just letting him know I'm old enough to remember. In fact I'm two months younger than John Ritter. That's not funny.

Jack
cathie

Post by cathie »

anybody that has already fused the wine bottles , did you use a mold or just lay it on the kiln shelf
TIA
Cathie
Judy Schnabel

Post by Judy Schnabel »

Hi Cathie,

I've never fired a bottle into a mold.

I always fire flat on 110-J sprinkled with dry BE kilnwash.

You'll have to experiment with a firing schedule for your appropriate kiln. In two of my kilns I fire to 1530 for a nice finish. I fire my oval kiln only to 1450 for the same finish.

I use stainless steel wire in the neck for a hanger.

Hope this helps.

Judy
Judy Schnabel

Post by Judy Schnabel »

Cathie,

I didn't address your question regarding the bottles rolling.

It really doesn't matter if it's a plain wine bottle. You just let it roll until it finds its center of gravity then move it back to where you want it.

The problem with rolling comes when you have liquor bottles with print on them, i.e., Absolut, Grey Goose, Chopin, etc. These can be tricky.

Judy
Dani

Post by Dani »

You know, I was at the liquor store the other day and noticed all those huge bottles of cheap wine.... you know, like cider bottles with handles? Wouldn't those make good bread trays? I'd give it a try if I wasn't afraid of turning into a win-o. I did finally try wine bottles myself and have also been etching stuff on them. (Take a wild guess what... starts with a "P" :wink: )
Diane

Post by Diane »

The problem with rolling comes when you have liquor bottles with print on them, i.e., Absolut, Grey Goose, Chopin, etc. These can be tricky.
I've found that if I have a bottle that wants to roll a little, I just put a small piece of 110-J at the base and it will hold it in place and won't really show too much when finished.
cathie

Thanks again,

Post by cathie »

but what is 110-j
:oops:
Judy Schnabel

Post by Judy Schnabel »

You can order 110-J through the board. Brad will cut it to accommodate your kiln shelf.

It last forever when you sprinkle a little dry BE kiln wash on it and you'll never have to scrape your kiln shelf again.

Judy
jim simmons

Post by jim simmons »

Judy Schnabel wrote:You can order 110-J through the board. Brad will cut it to accommodate your kiln shelf.

It last forever when you sprinkle a little dry BE kiln wash on it and you'll never have to scrape your kiln shelf again.

Judy
I second that, :D
Welcome back to the board, Judy.
It's good to see you back.

Jim