klyrfire/adhesive question...

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Michelle Fokos

klyrfire/adhesive question...

Post by Michelle Fokos »

hi,

i'm wondering if A1 klyrfire works as an adhesive or just as a binding agent for use with frits? can i use it to hold copper wire in place on the glass, or will the wire shift (if the klyrfire isn't really an adhesive?) is there a better kind of adhesive to use that holds, but burns out completely?

thanks!

michelle
Jack Bowman

Post by Jack Bowman »

I've never had a problem with Superglue. Liquid, not gel. Gel doesn't burn out.

Jack
Lynne Chappell

Post by Lynne Chappell »

Klyrfire works as an adhesive, but it isn't a strong bond. You can pry things held with it apart (sometimes accidentally). It does the best job of not leaving any residue (in my opinion), but if I really need it to stick and not budge while I'm doing other things or moving it, then I use diluted white glue (it sometimes leaves a smudge though). All the glues are only useful for holding things while you move the glass or get it in the kiln. Since they burn out before the glass sticks they can't defy gravity.
Joseph Tracy

Post by Joseph Tracy »

Klyfire is used to hold thin copper wire(cloisons) in cloisinee enamel work so it seems a logical choice to me.
Bea

Post by Bea »

Michelle

I posted on this board not long ago about glues for fusing glass and have since been trying out a few.......

So far I use a PVA glue for woodworking and another PVA craft glue. Both seem to work well, if I make sure the glue is totally dried clear before I fire the pieces there are no traces at all on the glass nor the wires I use in my glass.

I use fine silver wire and copper wire.

I have tried Glastac but that holds glass and doesn't seem to have a firm enough grip on metal.......... plus it takes FOREVER to dry out !!!!! :(

Hope this helps.

Bea :)
Simply Bea Beads