do sharpie marks burn off w/o leaving traces?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

charlie

do sharpie marks burn off w/o leaving traces?

Post by charlie »

if not, what does?

i want to draw on glass and then use that as markings to delineate where to put frit. it's opal glass, otherwise i'd just draw on a piece of paper under the glass.
Doug Randall

Post by Doug Randall »

Yes Charlie, I know the black sharpie marks burn off as I do just that all the time. Haven't used the other colors, but I'll assume they will also. 8)
Nancy Badciong

Post by Nancy Badciong »

I have been using a silver sharpie and it does not burn off.

Nancy
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Black sharpies don't always burn off, either. (Although they do most of the time.)

My rule is that they burn off when you don't want them to and don't burn off when you want them to. :lol:
watershed

Post by watershed »

One thing I have discovered through my new grinding/polishing exp, Sharpies on glass are not permanent. Yes if you let them dry, they'll stick, but if you depend on them for engraving/cutting lines they don't cut the mustard.

On the other hand, the Paint pens DO stand up to extensive water. I'll find out soon whether they stand up to the glory hole.

Greg
Stuart Clayman

Post by Stuart Clayman »

I have found that the black sharpies leave a residue on Irid. On all other glass I have had no problem with them buring off. On the other hand, the white pens used to outline that I got when I was doing stain glass turns yellow during firing.
mbeth

Post by mbeth »

Hi Kids,
A newbie here but guess it's time I post something...

Has anyone tried china markers for kiln work. I just got one but haven't had time to try it yet. The guy at the art store said it will burn away and leave no marks. Also thinks it will hold up to the glass saw but again, haven't had time to try it yet.
Jack Bowman

Post by Jack Bowman »

To keep your sharpie mark when grinding or sawing try rubbing some vaseline on the mark.

Jack
Alecia Helton

dp sharpies burn off w/o leaving marks?

Post by Alecia Helton »

China markers wash off when I'm sawing before I've completed the cut. It helps if I cover the marker with a chap stick or vaseline, but that's not foolproof.

I always wash it off before I fire.

Alecia
Alecia Helton
Wear Original Wonders!
Carrollton TX
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

Jack Bowman wrote:To keep your sharpie mark when grinding or sawing try rubbing some vaseline on the mark.

Jack
I use candle wax. It isn't slippery like vaseline or chapstick.

Barbara
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
Cynthia

Re: do sharpie marks burn off w/o leaving traces?

Post by Cynthia »

charlie wrote:if not, what does?

i want to draw on glass and then use that as markings to delineate where to put frit. it's opal glass, otherwise i'd just draw on a piece of paper under the glass.
You've heard all the answers. Now here's mine. :shock:

I have never had a sharpie that wasn't metallic leave a residue on a non irid glass (I dare you to sort out all the double negatives), BUT, I have never trapped it under frit.

There is enough air circulation with using frit that I expect you won't have any problems getting it to burn off cleanly. To be on the safe side though, do a test piece. Mark the bejeezes out of your opal glass, pile on the frit and fire using the same schedule you intend to use for the real deal. See what happens. Don't try it with a metallic sharpie, they are pretty, and work well to mark black or dark glass, but won't burn off cleanly. I'll bet you are happy with the result.
charlie

Post by charlie »

Brad Walker wrote:Black sharpies don't always burn off, either. (Although they do most of the time.)

My rule is that they burn off when you don't want them to and don't burn off when you want them to. :lol:
is the residue removable, or is it fused into the glass?
charlie

Re: do sharpie marks burn off w/o leaving traces?

Post by charlie »

Cynthia wrote:
charlie wrote:if not, what does?

You've heard all the answers. Now here's mine. :shock:

I have never had a sharpie that wasn't metallic leave a residue on a non irid glass (I dare you to sort out all the double negatives), BUT, I have never trapped it under frit.

There is enough air circulation with using frit that I expect you won't have any problems getting it to burn off cleanly. To be on the safe side though, do a test piece. Mark the bejeezes out of your opal glass, pile on the frit and fire using the same schedule you intend to use for the real deal. See what happens. Don't try it with a metallic sharpie, they are pretty, and work well to mark black or dark glass, but won't burn off cleanly. I'll bet you are happy with the result.
thanks all. i guess some tests are in order.
Victoria Nelson

Post by Victoria Nelson »

Artline 200 are a finer line and burn clean too! Except if you mark on sandblasted or ground edges as they dont burn off clean all the time!
Joanne Owsley

Post by Joanne Owsley »

After gleaning through all the posts, I understand that, definitely, it will, and it won't. :lol:
~ Joanne

"What neglected medication made you think THAT was a good idea??"
- me, to myself
Paul Tarlow

Post by Paul Tarlow »

Jack Bowman wrote:To keep your sharpie mark when grinding or sawing try rubbing some vaseline on the mark.

Jack
A stick of chapstick in the studio is another handy way to do this.
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

The new Silver Sharpie works well against dark glass but it DOES NOT BURN OFF COMPLETELY at full fuse temps.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
charlie

Post by charlie »

in a test yesterday, black, blue and red under and not under frit all burnt off completely.

thanks for all the replies.
Dani

Post by Dani »

I used various colored markers all the time to sketch my designs and lettering onto the glass before I paint. I always use water soluble markers though, as I've had problems with some of the "permanent" markers like the Sharpies. I've also had problems with china markers and metallic markers making a permanent mark after firing. Sticking with water soluble does the trick for me.
Lynne Chappell

Post by Lynne Chappell »

Well quite a while ago, I read on this board that Sharpie markers burnt off completely. Of course I had been religiously cleaning them off. Hey, I thought I could really use that black mark to get things centered on the form. Well, I agree with Brad - if you want them to burn off, they will stay, and I had a whole load of stuff with little x's on the bottom of them still visible after firing. And the white paint pen is definitely what I would call a "hi-temperature" pen. Found that out by accident when some white paint along the edge of the glass didn't get cleaned off. 1500 degrees later, the white paint is still there exactly as before. The amazing thing is that even after a fuse firing, I got most of it off with lacquer thinner (just a faint haze left behind). But true to Brad's experience, when I told a student he could use it to draw something on his plate, it burnt off almost entirely leaving only a shadow.