Cutting irid

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Amy on Salt Spring

Cutting irid

Post by Amy on Salt Spring »

Its been a very long time since I used an irid glass in any of my work. I'm getting ready to do a piece with it and although I do remember how easily the irid chips along the edge when cutting, I do not remember if I had more success with preventing the chipping by scoring the glass on the irid side or on the back. Anyone who cuts a lot of it please tell me which side you score on.
Thanks!
Amy
Brock

Post by Brock »

I score on the irid surface, but chips are unimportant to me because I'm always blasting a border off anyway. Doug Randall just showed me a neat trick. The surface of BE sometimes has a hard "skin" and it can be easier to score on the back of the sheet.

Clear as mud?

Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Terry Ow-Wing

Post by Terry Ow-Wing »

if chipping is a problem many times I just take the edge to the grinder and grind the entire edge - that way it is uniform and the chips do not show as an obvious glitch. Even on certain designs putting a ground edge exposing the black unlaying glass is a design aspect.

-Terry O.
Terry Ow-Wing Designs
Kilnformed and Lampworked Glass Art
http://GlassArt.weebly.com
Amy on Salt Spring

Brock wrote:I score on the irid surface, but chips are unimportant to me because I'm always blasting a border off anyway. Doug Randall just showed me a neat trick. The surface of BE sometimes has a hard "skin" and it can be easier to score on the back of the sheet.

Clear as mud?

Brock
Well it is Bullseye and as of yet I do not have a sandblasting setup so I guess I will try scoring on the back and see how it goes. I can grind the edges if it doesn't go well but its a large piece and that will be a lot of grinding so I want to minimize it if I can. Thanks,
-A
Amy on Salt Spring

I just wanted to say that I have been scoring my Bullseye blue irid on the backside as Brock said Doug Randall recommended and its been breaking perfectly with no chipping. The little bit of grinding I've had to do has actually caused chipping whereas the cutting hasn't, go figure. Maybe I need a new head...and one for my grinder too.
Amy