Kiln wash: ceramic vs glass

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

PDXBarbara

Kiln wash: ceramic vs glass

Post by PDXBarbara »

"Teaching" fusing at a middle school. Sharing kiln, some supplies with the art dept. (the more I can use from the art dept... the better, budgetwise). The art dept. will be firing ceramics in the kiln. Can I use the same kiln wash for glass fusing that the art dept. uses to fire ceramics? Or do I have to beg, borrow and/or steal the stuff we use just for glass?
Merci,
Barbara
Barbara Bader
Brock

Post by Brock »

You can use the same stuff, but it'll probably be coarser than you're used to, and off-gas more. If you're making small projects, no problem. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
PDXBarbara

Post by PDXBarbara »

Thanks Brock.
Do I treat the ceramic wash the same way I do the glass wash?
xxoo
bb
Barbara Bader
Brock

Post by Brock »

Yup. Laconic Boy
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Barbara Cashman

Post by Barbara Cashman »

Barbara, I found it stuck to the glass more (maybe not enough alumina?) Anyway, not the best for glass, but will work. - Barbara C
Michelle Fokos

Post by Michelle Fokos »

Brock wrote:You can use the same stuff, but it'll probably be coarser than you're used to, and off-gas more. If you're making small projects, no problem. Brock
hi barbara,

this may be a well-known fact, but it was recently new info for me: after your kiln wash has dried on the shelf, you can smooth it out really nicely by rubbing it down in a circular motion with the pad of your thumb (the bottom of your palm). once you've done this, gently wipe all the powder off. this removes the brush stroke marks from the shelf, and leaves the back of your fired pieces very smooth. while i am still very much a newbie, this is my prefered method of firing thus far.

michelle

ps...thanks for sharing with me how much you love your clamshell and all the folks at skutt...i ordered my clamshell today!!!!!!!! joy oh joy!!!!!!!!
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Re: Kiln wash: ceramic vs glass

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

PDXBarbara (Bader) wrote:"Teaching" fusing at a middle school. Sharing kiln, some supplies with the art dept. (the more I can use from the art dept... the better, budgetwise). The art dept. will be firing ceramics in the kiln. Can I use the same kiln wash for glass fusing that the art dept. uses to fire ceramics? Or do I have to beg, borrow and/or steal the stuff we use just for glass?
Merci,
Barbara
Ceramic bat wash is usually
1/2 china clay ( kaolin ) 1/2 alumina by volume

Glass mixes r much the same but finer

U can make the mix softer by adding more alumina

Less is a harder fired mix

U can grind it down on the shelf a little with a muller or flat pebble shape

When near dry

Brian
Lynne Chappell

Post by Lynne Chappell »

I guess you could get away with the ceramic wash, but.. It is certainly coarser and doesn't give as nice a finish, but the worst part is it can stick to the glass or haze the back of your glass.
lissa

Post by lissa »

ceramic wash is all I used for long time, just recently got the glass stuff. I did have a bit more 'sticking' but it always came right off and I never had hazing. If it is what's available, go for it, I don't see why it won't be fine. Like I said, I never had problems.

lissa.