Cold working tools in Canada

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Eleanor Brownridge

Cold working tools in Canada

Post by Eleanor Brownridge »

I've been studying all the posts on cold working tools -- now want to buy some, but know I'll have big shipping and duty charges if I order from US web sites. Does anyone know of good suppliers in Canada? Lapidary suppliers around Toronto don't have 12" machines.
TurtleCreek Art Glass in Nottawa, Ontario
Allan Gott

Post by Allan Gott »

What exactly are you looking for? Everything is available up here. You might not be looking in the right places.
Eleanor Brownridge

I was thinking of buying a disk grinder -- perhaps the 12" Crystalmaster Pro with diamond grinding disk and polishing pads. Maybe there is something else I should buy. Mostly I'm doing bowls and plates that have been combed ... and I find the surfaces and edges need some extra finishing. If you could direct me to a Canadian supplier I'd be very grateful.
Allan Gott

Post by Allan Gott »

OK well maybe not everything. :oops:

I don't know of anyone who is fabricating lap wheels. Almost everybody out west here has built their own. I'm not advocating design theft by any means but if you have time,find a local machine shop and ask them how much. Go simple, trued 12" platform, belt drive motor at appropriate RPM, tray, stand. If there's a language barrier, draw or show them a picture!!! A machine like this will outlast you and the pads will earn their keep in the first year in terms of time saved alone. Wet belt sanders, sandblasting etc you should be able to find in the archives and they'll be available in or around Toronto.

If you just want to buy and get on with it, there should be no duty(no CDN manufacturers), shipping, exchange and taxes are facts of life. You'll never regret doing it if you are making a lot of work or plan to.
Jerry Barnett

Post by Jerry Barnett »

You can download lap plans from http://www.hisglassworks.com by going to "Downloads" on the "Support" menu.
Eleanor Brownridge

Thanks for these replies. I had considered having my husband make a machine, but that will take a long time. I was looking for a faster, easier solution -- and some recourse if it didn't work. Complaining to my husband isn't always the best solution. However, it looks like I should sweeten him up and start building a relationship with a machine shop.

Where do Canadians buy their disks and cerium oxide -- order from HIS or is there there a supplier here?
Brock

Post by Brock »

Your web site URL doesn't work. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Eleanor Brownridge

Thanks -- I know my website is down -- just when I want to do some promotion of fall shows. The system operator who manages the host site is off in Europe on his honeymoon so I'm stuck until he gets back. I'd scream at him ... but he is my son and his prices are great!
Brock

Post by Brock »

Eleanor Brownridge wrote:Thanks -- I know my website is down -- just when I want to do some promotion of fall shows. The system operator who manages the host site is off in Europe on his honeymoon so I'm stuck until he gets back. I'd scream at him ... but he is my son and his prices are great!
Ah, nepotism! Try and keep it in the family. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Allan Gott

Post by Allan Gott »

Disks definitely from HIS, cerium you should be able to source from someone close. We usually hit up a place here that does a lot of bevelling of plate glass. They go through a lot of cerium and have no problem selling off 5 or 10 lbs whenever we ask. That much goes a long way with the synthetic felt polishing pad we got from HIS.
Terry Craig

Post by Terry Craig »

well i know where to get some used diamond disk if you are interested. on the wheel give me a call at the Living arts center and i might be able to find you a used one or give you plans on making one out of a potters wheel (yes it can be done cheap and fast) also i wonder if a belt sander might not be better for you if you are doing edge work.
terry craig
905 306 6062
Lynne Chappell

Post by Lynne Chappell »

We buy cerium oxide from a company that sells glazing supplies. In Ontario try C.R. Laurence, they have outlets everywhere and probably carry it.
phil

Post by phil »

Please continue thread of Canadian Suppliers - I'm also looking for cerium, possibly used (or new) wet belt sander, good mold sources (have already down all the GTA ceramic shops)etc, etc. Any help much appreciated - Terry, do you have a retail shop with supplies by chance - I'm in Mississauga.
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

phil wrote:Please continue thread of Canadian Suppliers - I'm also looking for cerium, possibly used (or new) wet belt sander, good mold sources (have already down all the GTA ceramic shops)etc, etc. Any help much appreciated - Terry, do you have a retail shop with supplies by chance - I'm in Mississauga.
For wet belt sanders, the BEE is the best thing going. Made in Canada.

http://www.esourcecanada.com/profile.as ... d=19533406

For a picture of the BEE sander try

http://www.crlaurence.com/ProductPages/ ... 85&Origin=

Ron
Eleanor Brownridge

Phil,
I had a great meeting with Terry yesterday and he showed me their equipment and gave me lots of ideas for making my own. He also directed me to BEE and I called them this morning. Their price for the large wet belt sander that Living Arts Centre has is $1698. It's probably too big a machine for my space so I'm continuing research.

Just spoke with Chandler Industrial Supplies in Mississauga. They are preparing quotes on a small tabletop machine, belts etc. that I should have later today. I'll share my research when I get it.

Other opportunities -- rent time in grinding studio at Living Arts Centre -- I'll be checking into price.
-- adapt dry sander so water can't get into motor area -- looked at RYOBI model BD4600 at Home Depot -- has 4" x 36" belt that can be set vertically -- also 6" disc.

Let me know what you find about good mold sources.
Terry Craig

Post by Terry Craig »

ok for most grinding grits check out:
ritchey supply
1036 matheson blvd.
mississauga, ont
l4w 2t9
fax 905 625 6305 sorry not sure of the phone #

for mould making supplies try:
psh (pottery supply house)
1120 speers rd.
oakville, ont.
905 827 1129
or 1800 465 8544
hope this helps
terry
Eleanor Brownridge

Ritchey Supply phone number 905-625-1730
- only sell belts for industrial machines -- i.e. 106" -- do not custom make belts.
Lynn Bishop

Post by Lynn Bishop »

Terry Craig wrote:well i know where to get some used diamond disk if you are interested. on the wheel give me a call at the Living arts center and i might be able to find you a used one or give you plans on making one out of a potters wheel (yes it can be done cheap and fast) also i wonder if a belt sander might not be better for you if you are doing edge work.
terry craig
905 306 6062
I'd be interested in the plans for making one out of a potter's wheel. Thanks, Lynn Bishop
Terry Craig

Post by Terry Craig »

well there not much to really, just get an old wheel, have some one change the gearing on it so that it spins faster and put on a splash gaurd to keep the mess down. than just buy a set of diamond disk from "his glass works' and away you go.
terry