Wasser Glass

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

tom suter

Wasser Glass

Post by tom suter »

I am thinking about buying some Wasser, I never have used it. I realize that it is a softer glass than BE so lower firing temps. My question is I mention it to a couple of people who I am not really sure they know what they are talking about in this area and they said it runs like butter and bleeds out. Any advise on wasser without bad mouthing a sponsor? You can hit my profile and send a message directly if you rather not post it. Thanks :?: :?: Tom
Pat Loboda

Post by Pat Loboda »

Hi Tom-

I have made a few pieces with old Wasser accents - at the tack fuse stage. I have been very pleased with the outcome - no color loss. I will send 2 pictures to your e-mail site - sorry I just don't remember how to get photos to My Photo spot so that I can post them here.

I've been experimenting with the new Wasser. I tried a really pretty piece of green Wasser with gold accents in magnet size pieces to experiment. I put the Wasser on top of clear; the clear on top of Wasser; and BE thin on top of Wasser. The Wasser on top fused perfectly - but at lower temps. Alas, I didn't have a controller at the time of this experiment, so I can't tell you what temp I went to. Too bad because it worked perfectly with the Wasser on top. I did find in my notes on Wasser: 1285 degrees for tack fuse, and 1340 degrees for full fuse.

I will be experimenting much more because I have a case of Wasser on its way to me. Feel free to save my e-mail address and keep in touch. Oh yeah - there's also a new book coming out about Wasser - I asked about it last week at one of my wholesalers, and I guess it's not out, yet.

Pat
Mike Byers

Post by Mike Byers »

I've used the old Wasser (mostly red) for a number of years, and have made a few pieces using the new Wasser/DTI (gold, sliver and antique copper). Wasser will melt at a lower temperature than other 90 COE glass I've used, and the substrate of the metallic colors will flow out from under the top color. The metallic top surface will separate into small particles at full fuse temperatures (an effect similiar to that encountered with with Bullseye, etc.). At least with the old Wasser red, I've found that it will become more of a brick red above 1500 F unless it's capped by a clear glass. The gold Wasser/DTI I have is actually more of a bronze color: very nice! You'll also note that the black Wasser substrate is a different black than Bullseye or Uroboros, and that a piece of stringer or thin strip fired on top of the metallic Wasser/DTI will concentrate the metallic particles from the Wasser/DTI around it as it sinks in during fusing, another nice effect. Overall, I've been very pleased with both the old and new Wasser I've used, and once you get a feel for what it does when fused, I think you'll like using it, too. I haven't used the new Wasser/DTI red, but the old red gives a true, blood-red color that's unlike any other glass I've ever seen. Now if they'd just make the silver and antique copper on a black substrate...
Tess Farley

Post by Tess Farley »

I've used the new Wasser quite a bit during the last year. I've found that due to it's lower firing temp, some of the colors have a tendency to stike badly when taken to the temp required to fuse the Wasser to a compatible clear. The green/yellow multi turned gray, and the lavender turned cobalt, but the cobalt and bright yellow stayed true. I tried making a few Christmas ornaments out of it by cutting Wasser scrap and fusing to BE clear base. At the higher temp required to fuse the Wasser to the clear, the Wasser had a tendency to bleed a little. In other words, the edges did not come out straight. It didn't look good, and I ended up trashing the ornaments. However, the Wasser does well at the higher temps when sandwiched between two clear pieces of glass, and that is what I recommend you do.
Terry Ow-Wing

Post by Terry Ow-Wing »

Got any pics? I'm especially interested in seeing the metallics of the wasser. THanks - Terry Ow-Wing :o
Mike Byers wrote:...the substrate of the metallic colors will flow out from under the top color. The metallic top surface will separate into small particles at full fuse temperatures (an effect similiar to that encountered with with Bullseye, etc.). At least with the old Wasser red, I've found that it will become more of a brick red above 1500 F unless it's capped by a clear glass. The gold Wasser/DTI I have is actually more of a bronze color: very nice! You'll also note that the black Wasser substrate is a different black than Bullseye or Uroboros, and that a piece of stringer or thin strip fired on top of the metallic Wasser/DTI will concentrate the metallic particles from the Wasser/DTI around it as it sinks in during fusing, another nice effect. Overall, I've been very pleased with both the old and new Wasser I've used, and once you get a feel for what it does when fused, I think you'll like using it, too. I haven't used the new Wasser/DTI red, but the old red gives a true, blood-red color that's unlike any other glass I've ever seen. Now if they'd just make the silver and antique copper on a black substrate...
Terry Ow-Wing Designs
Kilnformed and Lampworked Glass Art
http://GlassArt.weebly.com
Mike Byers

Post by Mike Byers »

Terry,

I've got a digital camera now, so as soon as I get a chance I'll get some photos of the effects I've been getting with Wasser/DTI. I shouldn't complain, but I've been so busy for the last year and a half that I haven't had time to do much but work on commissions. Or maybe I'm getting older and slower: a distinct possibility. In any event, I'll see if I can get some close-ups.
vblue

Post by vblue »

If you want to see some awesome pictures of work done with Wasser glass go to the DTI site and see the entries in their contest. You have to select the category "Win with Wasser" and its a little slow to load due to the high resolution of the photos (or else my computer is just cranky. )

http://www.dticrafts.com/index.cfm?page=gallery

Both Pat and Tess were winners. Pat's heart is real cute and Tess' sunflower bowl should have won or at least tied for first. :D
Pat Loboda

Post by Pat Loboda »

Vblue forgot to mention - she was a winner too in the DTI Wasser contest.

Pat