Clear Cabochons

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Heather Nelson

Clear Cabochons

Post by Heather Nelson »

Has anyone ever tried making clear cabochons?
Fusing ,Casting, Pressing would all of these be an option?
I have someone looking for a handful of them for family picture pendants.
I thought I would try to make a few and wondered if anyone else has ever given it a try..(30mm x 22mm)

Thanks for any input.

Heather :?
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

I'm not sure what you're asking here...

Are you asking about using clear color (or actually, no color) transparent regular fusing glass or are you talking about using transparent dichro glass for cabs?

I've done both. It works.

Geri Comstock
Heather Nelson

Post by Heather Nelson »

Hi Geri,

I want to make completely clear transparent cabs. I have someone who wants to put a picture behind them. They are 30mm x 22mm. Any ideas you have I would be grateful to hear. Thanks so much.
Heather
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

I would guess that if they have any kind of thickness to them, the photo might be distorted. This is just a guess though.

You might want to make single layers cabs and just firepolish them.

Geri
charlie

Post by charlie »

Geri Comstock wrote:I would guess that if they have any kind of thickness to them, the photo might be distorted. This is just a guess though.

You might want to make single layers cabs and just firepolish them.

Geri
like fun house mirrors?

there's a new market opportunity for you: custom distorted cabs. makes your chin smaller and your hairline further down your forehead.
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

how big? you can buy clear cabs in sacks at places that sell flower arranging stuff. polish the bottom to make it perfect, then fire polish. should work pretty well to put a picture under.
Paul Tarlow

Re: Clear Cabochons

Post by Paul Tarlow »

Heather Nelson wrote:Has anyone ever tried making clear cabochons?
I thought I would try to make a few and wondered if anyone else has ever given it a try..(30mm x 22mm)

Thanks for any input.

Put some clear glass on a kiln shelf and fire to about 1550F for 10 minutes. The glass will naturally take on a rounded shape, with rounded edges, and about a 6mm thickness. The only trick will be to determine how much glass to get the size you want.
Lynne Chappell

Post by Lynne Chappell »

I don't think this will be a successful project. The back of anything fired on a shelf won't be clear enough for a picture. You would have to grind and polish the bottom. Kind of a lot of work.
cindyj

Clear glass gems

Post by cindyj »

I see these all the time for sale on ebay. Buy the clear gems at the store-cheap-and the picture is glued on the back witha clear adhesive-weldbond. They will fade in the sunlight and may even yellow. Probably not worth the time and effort to make in the kiln.
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

My sister makes magnets using images of art glued to the bottom of those cheapo gems. They look fine when you look at them head on, you only see distortion when you look from the sides.

Given how little money you spend on glass the size of a locket, it would certainly be worth a try. I would get the surface of the kiln shelf as clean and smooth as possible (wash, rub out brush marks and vacuum carefully). be prepared to have to coldwork your bottom some, but if this is a small order for someone dear to you, or someone willing to pay well for them, it might be worth the effort.

Good luck!
Barbara
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
Heather Nelson

Post by Heather Nelson »

Thanks for all the help..I do plan on trying this. It was a given I would have to grind and polish the flat surface.

I'll let you know how I make out..

Heather
vidrio

Post by vidrio »

Paul Tarlow wrote:

Thanks for any input.

Put some clear glass on a kiln shelf and fire to about 1550F for 10 minutes. The glass will naturally take on a rounded shape, with rounded edges, and about a 6mm thickness. The only trick will be to determine how much glass to get the size you want.
Does it matter what shape you start with to get the round pendent cabs?
What about long ovals, and teardrop shapes?

Thanks Vidrio
Paul Tarlow

Post by Paul Tarlow »

vidrio wrote:
Paul Tarlow wrote:

Thanks for any input.

Thanks Vidrio
The shape of the glass you start with matters less the hotter and longer you soak it. To get a teardrop I would start with something close to that shape and watch it to determine how hot to go and how long to soak. You'll tend to have more control with cooler/longer firings.
JoanB

Post by JoanB »

Vidro asked:
For round shapes, I use square pieces. Rectangles will turn somewhat oval, triangles will approximate a teardrop shape. You may need to experiment with sizes. Also, this works better if you have at least two layers of glass.

For the original poster, start with two layers of clear, with the top layer being a tiny bit larger all around than the bottom.

JoanB
[/quote]