Drop ring question

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

BobbieMatus

Drop ring question

Post by BobbieMatus »

I did a fluted 7" drop ring, and one side slipped down more then the other so it is an uneven drop. What causes this to happen.
Bobbie
charlie holden

Post by charlie holden »

I can't tell if the rim is uneven or the bowl. But in any case, it can be inconsistencies in the glass, uneven heating in your kiln, not exactly level mold, not exactly centered placement of the glass, etc., etc.

One thing that often happens with drops is that the center slumps before the rim since there is likely more weight in the center and the rim is cooler, since it is against the mold. Sometimes the rim will even lift up off the mold before it begins to slump and the glass can slide into the center some. It will never do this evenly if it happens. Look into your kiln during the early stages of the slump to see if the rim is lifting. You may want to slow down the ramp up if that's the case.

ch
BobbieMatus

Post by BobbieMatus »

thanks for your help. I have been ramping at 400 degrees, do you think that's too fast??
Bobbie
charlie

Post by charlie »

weight, or lack of it, in the rim. you can make the rim a larger diamegter and trim it off, or add weights on top of the glass and trim that part off, or go really slowly and perhaps it will stay put.
BobbieMatus

Post by BobbieMatus »

sorry, I don't understand. How do you add weights to the rim???
Bobbie
charlie

Post by charlie »

cut up shelves. kiln supports, random pieces of ceramics. i use leftovers from tile jobs in lots of stuff. dams. supports for pot melts, etc. just be sure you use high-fired ceramics, like porcelain tiles. granite tiles won't hold up. damhikt.