Painting over frit

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

JoV

Painting over frit

Post by JoV »

I made a bunch of nightlights of the back of a wheaten dog. It' sitting down and you only see the back. It's head is turned slightly toward you. It's covered with frit. Most of the frit has melted.
My problem/question is:

I need some defination. A line to suggest where the head stops and the shoulders begin. A line for the front leg. Tiny things like that.

The only thing I can think of is to use very small paint dots to form lines. Since it's on frit it can't be a solid line without it being dorky looking, can it?

Any thoughts?

JoA
JoAnne
From the top of the hill, we can see the Arch
Bert Weiss

Re: Painting over frit

Post by Bert Weiss »

JoV wrote:I made a bunch of nightlights of the back of a wheaten dog. It' sitting down and you only see the back. It's head is turned slightly toward you. It's covered with frit. Most of the frit has melted.
My problem/question is:

I need some defination. A line to suggest where the head stops and the shoulders begin. A line for the front leg. Tiny things like that.

The only thing I can think of is to use very small paint dots to form lines. Since it's on frit it can't be a solid line without it being dorky looking, can it?

Any thoughts?

JoA
Paint and fire your solid line. Read "The Art of Painting on Glass" by Elskus
Last edited by Bert Weiss on Mon Sep 29, 2003 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Rebecca M.

Post by Rebecca M. »

JoV wrote:I made a bunch of nightlights of the back of a wheaten dog. It' sitting down and you only see the back. It's head is turned slightly toward you. It's covered with frit. Most of the frit has melted.
My problem/question is:

Any thoughts?

JoA

You may want to try dots and dashes. Solid line dashes where the 'meat' of the definition begins and dots as it trails off.
Rebecca M.

Post by Rebecca M. »

My problem/question is:

Any thoughts?

JoA

You may want to try dots and dashes. Solid line dashes where the 'meat' of the definition begins and dots as it trails off.
charlie

Post by charlie »

My problem/question is:

Any thoughts?

JoA
more frit? you can place the small pieces with tweezers and draw your lines with that, or fire it once to get the background, place more frit using klyr-fire as a glue, and fire again.