scotch tape' am i the only one

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

ernest porcelli

scotch tape' am i the only one

Post by ernest porcelli »

i've use this tape for years to hold pieces of glass together to get works from the bench to the kiln. yes you need to support the piece with the top glass or card board to move it into the kiln, the tape burns off i've even used the tape between both layers and not had any problems with the finshed pieces.
for me this just saves time building works for production
have fun ep
-EP
Rob Cleve

Post by Rob Cleve »

What a great idea. I've had a couple of pieces lately that have slipped in the Kiln when I closed the lid after venting. I'll definitely give it a try!
Your work is stunning by the way!!

Rob
Dani

Post by Dani »

For anyone interested in developing a cohesive product line and selling wholesale or retail, this work is a fabulous example of what to do. The website is great, too. Nice showing! And what is your working saying? How about "I'm gorgeous, don't you want to take me home?" LOL.
PDXBarbara

Posting Prices?

Post by PDXBarbara »

Dani wrote:For anyone interested in developing a cohesive product line and selling wholesale or retail, this work is a fabulous example of what to do. The website is great, too. Nice showing! And what is your working saying? How about "I'm gorgeous, don't you want to take me home?" LOL.
It IS a nice site...
But I'd like opinions on one aspect. Posting prices on the website: pros & cons?
Barbara Bader
Rob Cleve

Post by Rob Cleve »

I think I might just be being dense. But, how did we get from Scotch Tape to selling wholesale and posting prices? Haha

Rob
PDXBarbara

Post by PDXBarbara »

Rob Cleve wrote:I think I might just be being dense. But, how did we get from Scotch Tape to selling wholesale and posting prices? Haha

Rob
Hi Rob... ah the nostalgia... the thread evolves, I guess, like on the "old" board...

Though I remember my very 1st post to WGB (I knew zero about posting anything anywhere) & I posted new-topic question in the middle of another thread.. and Brad GENTLY explained why he was moving my thread elsewhere.
BB
Barbara Bader
Rob Cleve

Post by Rob Cleve »

HAHA, thanks for the sanity check! I still love the idea of the scotch tape though. (Connecting the thread back to the orignial)! =)

Rob
PDXBarbara

Post by PDXBarbara »

Rob Cleve wrote:HAHA, thanks for the sanity check! I still love the idea of the scotch tape though. (Connecting the thread back to the orignial)! =)

Rob
Yes, the tape is cool (if it worked for ME that is...) Bringing my nostalgia round to the tape...yet another anecdote:
After my very first basic fusing class at Bullseye, I was friggin' PANICKED because I had no idea what to do next. And when you succomb to an addiction, you'd better do something, right?
So, I got my hands on some scrap, bought a cutter, and made a project all by myself at home at a little table in our apt. In order to get it over to B.E. to fuse it, I practically mummified it in tape. So, I get over there and Christie Corbett must've used every bit of reserve she has in order to not laugh long & loud. Had to unwrap all the tape, clean all that friggin' tape mess off (I think I'd used a mixture of regular celophane tape & masking tape...I'd cleaned the glass before mummifying it though. Good girl, eh?) piece by piece, and then re-assemble for fusing. NEVER did that again, I can tell you. But now... but now... but now.... ? Nowadays, I use a lot of hairspray & diluted elmers. Way more sophisticated.
Barbara
Barbara Bader
Rob Cleve

Post by Rob Cleve »

Thats a great story! I guess I would worry about a fire starting in the Kiln if it had that much tape on it! haha
I am one of the fortunate males who no longer have to worry about Hair Spray so I don't have that around, I've tried Glastac and it works ok if you're patient enough for it to dry and you've used just the right amount, but I will try the diluted Elmer's. Sounds like a winner!

Rob
PDXBarbara

Post by PDXBarbara »

Rob... re: Elmers... use sparingly. & be sure the glue has a pathway to burn off. If it's trapped, it'll make black marks.

Hairspray. I use White Rain... cheap. I use the "original" Extra Hold. The pump spray, not aerosol.

I use the hairspray with abandon. Never ever had any marks from it no matter how much I've used. Go get some. You'll love it.

BB
Barbara Bader
gone

Post by gone »

Rob Cleve wrote:Thats a great story! I guess I would worry about a fire starting in the Kiln if it had that much tape on it! haha
I am one of the fortunate males who no longer have to worry about Hair Spray so I don't have that around, I've tried Glastac and it works ok if you're patient enough for it to dry and you've used just the right amount, but I will try the diluted Elmer's. Sounds like a winner!

Rob
For those of us who are impatient, Superglue is the adhesive of choice! The runny kind, though, the gel leaves a residue.

Els
PDXBarbara

Post by PDXBarbara »

Els VandenEnde wrote:
For those of us who are impatient, Superglue is the adhesive of choice! The runny kind, though, the gel leaves a residue.

Els
Hi Els...
Do you use any particular brand of superglue?
xxoo
Barbara
Barbara Bader
Dani

Post by Dani »

My husband almost fired ME the first time I tried hairspray.... even the unscented kind stinks! The double-sided tape sounds great and a good way to avoid those sticky fingers, especially the superglue kind. Ick. Yes, and life (along with conversation) has a way of digressing. And usually becoming more interesting in the process.
katesaunders

Post by katesaunders »

Just a quick addition--I read somewhere long ago, and I don't remember where, that superglue should never be used to hold glass together in a kiln because as it burns off it gives off very very dangerous fumes. Elmers was the recommended suggestion, being much more harmless. Works for me!
Kate
Gil Reynolds

Post by Gil Reynolds »

Super Glues is not a very healthy choice. A chemist in one of my classes informed me that when it burns it gives off cyanide gas.
Gil
jim simmons

Post by jim simmons »

katesaunders wrote:. Elmers was the recommended suggestion, being much more harmless. Works for me!
Kate
I use Aleene's "tacky glue" It burns off clean and sets up a LOT faster than Elmers>

Jim
gone

Post by gone »

Gil Reynolds wrote:Super Glues is not a very healthy choice. A chemist in one of my classes informed me that when it burns it gives off cyanide gas.
Gil
Yikes! I was taught to use superglue in my first class in 1994 and have used it ever since, although I've been using more Klyr-Fire lately. Luckily Superglue stinks when it burns, so I always vented the room and left until the smell was gone.
I take it back! DON"T USE SUPERGLUE!

Els
Paul Tarlow

Post by Paul Tarlow »

Gil Reynolds wrote:Super Glues is not a very healthy choice. A chemist in one of my classes informed me that when it burns it gives off cyanide gas.
Gil
The scientific name for super glue is "cyanoacrylate". Cyanide is chemically bound and even at room temp the fumes are considered hazardous (and especially hard on the eyes).

Add sufficient heat and the cyanide is released. I cannot find my notes but I believe the "danger" zone was about 400F.

- Paul
PDXBarbara

Post by PDXBarbara »

Gil
Yum..cyanide...mmmmmm.
BB
Barbara Bader
Mark Kemp

Post by Mark Kemp »

I've checked a number of MSDS's, and none of them say combustion products from cyanoacrylate adhesives are particularly hazardous, but just irritating. One mentioned "a trace amount of hydrogen cyanide". Another said there were no hazardous combustion products. A third mentioned no hazardous combustion products, but for fire-fighters to wear protective gear from "irritating organic fumes". Obviously you don't want to breathe the gases, they should be vented outside, but I haven't come across any evidence (that is, other than Gil's chemist friend) that the small amounts from our kilns are dangerous.