Need Simple Water Feed Setup for Grinder

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

candala

Need Simple Water Feed Setup for Grinder

Post by candala »

Can anyone suggest a VERY simple set up for setting up a bottle of water to intermittently drip on my glass while grinding. No matter what I do, I find that I need more and more water when I grind. I thought of purchasing a splash guard from Delphi glass and hooking up a water bottle to drip. Any other suggestions or proven methods? Thanks.
Carol

Post by Carol »

IV drip system can be adjusted to give you the speed of water delivery you need.
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

First thought is why do you need more and more water? Are you doing some kind of unusual grinding? I have a half dozen grinders in my studio and the usual sponge delivery suffices 99% of the time.
If you want to rig up something fast and cheap, I'd get the kind of hummingbird feeder that uses a tube to dispense the water, and add an extension hose, available at your local hardware store. Use a plastic soda bottle for the water, but first drill a small ( 1/16") hole in the bottom.Fill it with water, invert it, and put the hose by the head of the grinder. You'll have to improvise some kind of stand to hold it up. If the drip is too slow, make the air hole larger. If the flow is too fast, use a small c clamp on the hose and you'll be able to crudely regulate the flow that way. A more elegant solution would be to get a small water pump for water delivery, but that is more expensive and complicated. Good luck!
Dick Ditore

Post by Dick Ditore »

I bought a small fountain pump, put it in a tupperware container below the grinder, and plastic tubing to drip on the sponge. another tube goes into the drain at the bottom of the grinder. Then I just change the water often. I added a little valve to control how much water flows.

Dick
charlie

Post by charlie »

to prevent splashing, put the grinder in a 10 gallon fish tank tipped on it's side. you can get one for under $10 usually, the top surface allows you to look down on the glass without getting splashed, and the rest of the tank will hold and contain any splashing.
Barbara Cashman

Post by Barbara Cashman »

Carol wrote:IV drip system can be adjusted to give you the speed of water delivery you need.
Dang...been using one of those things on the cat for 2 weeks. Cat didn't make it, so I threw the IV unit away. Could have been a very expensive investment that went into the garbage. Anyway, I found the turn-type nozzle on a box-wine bag does fine too. After Marmalade passed, we went through a couple of them. - Barbara
Dani

Post by Dani »

We'll have to trade cat IV stories some time.... but let's drown the tears with those big jugs of wine. I want to slump a few into bread trays for homemade farmhouse loaves. :wink: I'm really sorry about Marmalade... if you were closer, I'd let you adopt Julius, the latest orange kitten.... pretrained to the glass studio.
Chip

Post by Chip »

I use the copper set up that should be used with an icemaker from a fridge. Taps into the plumbing, has a loooong small copper tube you can run anywhere, and you can easily put a small valve on the end to control the flow, or just use the valve on the part that attaches to the plumbing.
Chip
Micah 6.8
Greg Rawls

Post by Greg Rawls »

I use a 10 gallon plastic trash can. I put a small brass connection in the bottom and connected it with tygon tubing to the grinder. Put the trash can up high so that it gravity feeds. All brass fittings can be bought at Lowes in the plumbing dept. Works great!
Greg
Carol

Post by Carol »

Barbara Cashman wrote:
Carol wrote:IV drip system can be adjusted to give you the speed of water delivery you need.
Dang...been using one of those things on the cat for 2 weeks. Cat didn't make it, so I threw the IV unit away. Could have been a very expensive investment that went into the garbage. Anyway, I found the turn-type nozzle on a box-wine bag does fine too. After Marmalade passed, we went through a couple of them. - Barbara
Another good use for those old IV bags...they make tough "booties" for dogs with injured paws that need to keep their stitches dry. Sorry to hear about your kitty loss.