Preferred magazines for kilnformed glass artists?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Poppy Mussallem

Preferred magazines for kilnformed glass artists?

Post by Poppy Mussallem »

What magazines are read by kilnformed glass artists?
Dolores

Post by Dolores »

I can't think of a real witty punchline for a set up like that! However, as a glass jewelry artist, I suscribe to a wide range of publications. Crafts Report of course is an absolute must for any serious selling artist. I also receive Bead and Button to keep up on all the upcoming bead shows. finally, I drool over my cherished Ornament magazine and dream of the possiblilites. 8-[
Catharine Newell

Post by Catharine Newell »

American Craft, Glass, Glass Art...

Catharine
Paul Bush

Post by Paul Bush »

Glass Craftsman has an black and white insert called "Batch", in every other issue. Since this is a bi-monthly mag, that doesn't add up to too much ink, but it's the best there is right now, IMHO. Would love to see them expand Batch to every issue, and add color - maybe if enough of us asked for it, and agreed to subscribe if they complied?

Paul
Paul Bush
Flying Fish Studio
Portland, Oregon
charlie

Post by charlie »

Paul Bush wrote:Glass Craftsman has an black and white insert called "Batch", in every other issue. Since this is a bi-monthly mag, that doesn't add up to too much ink, but it's the best there is right now, IMHO. Would love to see them expand Batch to every issue, and add color - maybe if enough of us asked for it, and agreed to subscribe if they complied?

Paul
i think in the in-between issues they do the same insert for mosaics.
Brock

Post by Brock »

There's a magazine published in Holland, or Belgium, monthly, or bi-monthly, called "This Is It". I think.

How's that for a definitive answer.

Anyway, it has good writers and articles about all kinds of glass. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Marty

Post by Marty »

Crafts Report, Glass, Glass Art, The New Yorker, Craft, Fine Homebuilding,
Sports Illustrated (once a year, for the essays), Moto Guzzi News (or whatever it's called), Scientific American (every now and then), Fitness (for the recipes lol), Ornament (whenever it's given away at a show), Muse (kid's National Geographic), the regional glossies (for the restaurant reviews), and the Utne Reader every third or fourth year.

Marty

who allows almost anyone, no matter the race, creed, color, country of origin, circumstance of birth, preference of gender, or even species, to buy his work providing they got that do re mi.
Paul Bush

Post by Paul Bush »

Brock wrote:There's a magazine published in Holland, or Belgium, monthly, or bi-monthly, called "This Is It". I think.

De name Boss, de name!
Paul Bush
Flying Fish Studio
Portland, Oregon
Paul Bush

Post by Paul Bush »

Marty wrote:Crafts Report, Glass, Glass Art, The New Yorker, Craft, Fine Homebuilding,
Sports Illustrated (once a year, for the essays), Moto Guzzi News (or whatever it's called), Scientific American (every now and then), Fitness (for the recipes lol), Ornament (whenever it's given away at a show), Muse (kid's National Geographic), the regional glossies (for the restaurant reviews), and the Utne Reader every third or fourth year.

Marty

who allows almost anyone, no matter the race, creed, color, country of origin, circumstance of birth, preference of gender, or even species, to buy his work providing they got that do re mi.
You're the second person to mention "Glass" magazine. Haven't heard about this one. Tell more, like how you subscribe and such.
Paul Bush
Flying Fish Studio
Portland, Oregon
Marty

Post by Marty »

"Glass" is put out by Urbanglass in Brooklyn, NY.

http://www.urbanglass.org
Brock

Post by Brock »

Paul Bush wrote:
Brock wrote:There's a magazine published in Holland, or Belgium, monthly, or bi-monthly, called "This Is It". I think.

De name Boss, de name!
De name is "This is It". I think
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Cheryl

How about a number, a web site?

Post by Cheryl »

Uh, Brock, I tried to search the web for This is It but most of what I turned up was X-rated (good thing my office has a door!) Can you offer any more info?
Dani

Post by Dani »

I thought it was Upside Down or Inside Out or something along those lines. Obviously, the title is a problem from a marketing perspective. Sometimes Straightforward works better than Outre, you know what I mean? :roll:
Glenda Kronke

Post by Glenda Kronke »

The mag is 'This Side Up International Glass Art Magazine' and if I knew how to post a url I would attach to my message. (this-side-up-magazine.com)

very cool site

glenda
Bev Brandt

Post by Bev Brandt »

Bev Brandt
Brock

Post by Brock »

Yeah, that's it, not This Is It. Great mag.

And Marty . . .

" who allows almost anyone, no matter the race, creed, color, country of origin, circumstance of birth, preference of gender, or even species, to buy his work providing they got that do re mi"

. . . you must have some standards.

After all, I allowed you to collect one of my pieces.

Brock
Marty

Post by Marty »

That was your's? But it was signed "Cherchy L. Femme"!
Kathleen

Post by Kathleen »

Brock may have been referring to a magazine about glass published in the Netherlands called "This Side Up!"

The description from their Web site is,
"This Side Up!...
New in vision and layout, internationally orientated with even more information about glass art and glass artists!

This Side Up! writes about glass education, new books, architecture, all glass techniques, storming talent, glass artists, galleries and museums and the connection with the fine arts.

This Side Up! really connects the glass world: the glass schools and art education departments, the students, the artists, the ateliers and studios, the institutions and museums, the galleries, the suppliers and glass factories."

Their Web site is http://www.this-side-up-magazine.com/

Hope this helps!