Help me fix my grinder!

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

daffodildeb

Help me fix my grinder!

Post by daffodildeb »

I've been using the same bit on my Inland Wizard grinder since I got it about 6 months ago. Now I want to change to a channel bit, and I can't get the #%$^& bit off! Hubby has joined in the effort, and we've tried penetrating oil and eventually tried to drill out the screw after the allen wrench rounded out the screw head. Nothing has worked. The easy-out hubby was using broke.

Any other ideas? I think it's crummy that a non-stainless screw was used in such a water intensive environment. The company says they will drill it out, and I'm negotiating on having it done and shipped under warranty, but I really need the grinder daily (I work stained glass, too).
Deb
Jane Lindell

Post by Jane Lindell »

This has come up before. I happen to have a little personal experience also. Grinder company was very nice about sending a new set screw - but it won't work because the threads were damaged pulling out the old. Prevention in the form of lubricant or anti-seize applied in advance, or frequent removal/cleaning is the best answer.

Here is a link to a how to page from Inland.

http://www.inlandcraft.com/Uguides/stuckbit.htm

good luck

Jane
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Long ago, when my Inland grinder was new (about as new as yours), I ran into the same problem. I wanted to scream bloody murder at the company, but in truth the fault was mine -- I neglected to lubricate the shaft before putting the bit on, the bit froze up, then I tore things up trying to get it off. 100% my fault.

The solution was simple. I packed the grinder up, sent it to the company, and had them repair it. It was a free repair -- they did it under warrenty even though I had done the damage -- and I was only without a grinder for a couple of weeks.

Moral of the story -- I now keep a jar of petroleum jelly next to the grinder, and use it liberally on the shaft everytime I change bits. Haven't had a problem since.
Rebecca M.

Post by Rebecca M. »

To make a long story short, I gave away a grinder to a freind, worked fine, just had a frozen head. I ended up fixing the darn thing anyway, and mumbling (goodnaturedly) about how some people want something for nothing, I got a big channel lock and WD-40. Soaked it good with the WD, try to get up underneath the head too. Then I gave it a few good whacks on the side of the head with the wrench all around. Not so hard to bend the shaft. Then I tapped on the top of the head and if it slides down some, you're home free. Grab it with the channel lock and work it up and down. A few more good whacks on the head if you need to. Great therapy and very satisfying when the head pops off. :lol:
charlie

Post by charlie »

use never-sieze compound on both the set screw and the shaft before you put on the bit. do the same thing to the tip in your soldering iron and it's set screw.

to get a frozen bit off, use a hub puller. if you don't have one, the auto parts store has a battery connector puller that should also work, but if you take the grinder to the auto parts store, they usually have hub pullers for rent. they'll probably just let you figure out what size you need and use it there for free.
Marty

Post by Marty »

Been there also- used a good drill bit to drill out the set screw, used a torch on the bit, hammer assist.