how do I use Hanovia gold?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Elizabeth Villarreal

how do I use Hanovia gold?

Post by Elizabeth Villarreal »

I recently purchased a small bottle of Hanovia glass gold and a Kemper tool. The shop where I purchased them did not know how to use them. Do I apply the gold and then fire in kiln? If so, at what temp and for how long?
What general precautions should I take? Any help greatly appreciated :?
Bert Weiss

Re: how do I use Hanovia gold?

Post by Bert Weiss »

Elizabeth Villarreal wrote:I recently purchased a small bottle of Hanovia glass gold and a Kemper tool. The shop where I purchased them did not know how to use them. Do I apply the gold and then fire in kiln? If so, at what temp and for how long?
What general precautions should I take? Any help greatly appreciated :?
elizabeth

There are different formulations. One is made to fire on glassware without slumping the glass. It fires in at 1050ºF. Another is designed for pottery, it fires in hotter, I'm not sure the right temp. You can use either one on your glass if you fire it to the right temp. The tolerances are fairly tight. If you overfire it it turns pink and disappears. If you underfire it it rubs off.

I would try and contact Hanovia to determine which formula you have and get their recommended firing schedule.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

Hanovia Glass Gold information.

http://www.clayartcenter.com/glaze_hanova.htm

Hanovia Glass Gold fires to cone 022, see the chart near the bottom of the to convert to temps.

There is a mistake in the chart, the temperatures given should be f and not c.

ron
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Both formulations work well over a range of temperatures from around 1150 to 1450. To use the gold, use a toothpick and dip it into the liquid lifting a small drop out with the toothpick. Touch the wet toothpick to the inside of the barrel of the Kemper gold pen. Two or three drops will go a long way. Flush the pen barrel with Hanovia Gold Essence by dipping the entire pen barrel into the essense... I use a glue syringe to blow the essence through the pen, but you can use a cotton swab as a plunger to force the lquid through the tip.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Jim Wixon

Post by Jim Wixon »

Also...shake the small bottle often...the metal settles quickly.
If you use a brush for application..save it and use it for the gold ONLY. You do not want cross contamination. Normal painters turp can also be used to clean tool and/or brush.
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

Tony Smith wrote:Both formulations work well over a range of temperatures from around 1150 to 1450. To use the gold, use a toothpick and dip it into the liquid lifting a small drop out with the toothpick. Touch the wet toothpick to the inside of the barrel of the Kemper gold pen. Two or three drops will go a long way. Flush the pen barrel with Hanovia Gold Essence by dipping the entire pen barrel into the essense... I use a glue syringe to blow the essence through the pen, but you can use a cotton swab as a plunger to force the lquid through the tip.

Tony
Just to clarify what Tony explained. Use the Essence to clean the pen or to thin the luster. Flushing the barrel with the essence is for cleaning when done. The thin wire tool that came with your pen is for reaming out the nib while cleaning. clean 'til you can't see any more brown stain when essence is applied. That way you won't risk clogging up the nib with dried luster. You can use turp for cleaning instead or essence, but for thinning the gold luster, use only the gold essence.

Practice drawing a few lines and dots by putting the nib of the pen on the glass and see how much flow you get while the pen is resting on the glass. Touch the nib down for little dots, hold it there to make larger dots. You'll get the feel pretty quickly.
Ed Skeels

Gold Tips

Post by Ed Skeels »

I now have access to screen printing for firing gold on glass, but when I was starting out and using brushes, this site was very helpful.

http://www.porcelainpainters.com/GOLD2.html
charlie

Post by charlie »

Jim Wixon wrote:Also...shake the small bottle often...the metal settles quickly.
If you use a brush for application..save it and use it for the gold ONLY. You do not want cross contamination. Normal painters turp can also be used to clean tool and/or brush.
i use the end of a very thin stringer to get the liquid into the kemper pen as that doesn't seem to absorb any of it.

also, i think the gold isn't in the liquid as a suspension but as a solution. there isn't anything settling out in my bottle.
Gale aka artistefem

Post by Gale aka artistefem »

If you're firing to the higher temps, try firing the gold face down on fiber paper or blanket.

I apply Hanovia designs to 3/16" and also 1/4" thick float glass and do a fuse/slump combo. To get float glass this thick to soften and bend, I'm working in the 1500 F + range, where the higher heat can make the gold burn away and disappear. By placing the gold face down on the fibered kiln shelf I never lose my design work and the gold comes out shiney and bright.
Cliff Swanson

Post by Cliff Swanson »

Gale,

I've been thinking about doing something similar to your fiber blanket method as a means of signing my work. I was wondering whether the metalics would cure if one simply signed the back of a piece with gold or platinum and then slumped into a mold as usual. Have you any experience with this?

Cliff
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Cliff,

As long as the gold or platinum is dry when you handle the piece and put it into the mold (so you don't smudge it), the metallics will mature at the slumping temps, up or down.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Gale aka artistefem

Post by Gale aka artistefem »

Cliff........Ditto on Tony's comments.

You can fire the gold face down on fibers, kiln wash, sifted alumina or whiting. It's your choice as to what type of fired glass surface you desire. The glass & gold will pick up the texture of your seperater.
Brock

Post by Brock »

I have to disagree about shaking the bottles of lusters. These are metallics in suspension and do not need to be shaken, nor should they be. If you shake the bottle, bubbles form which will burst and leave pin holes in your application.

Avery
charlie

Post by charlie »

Brock wrote:I have to disagree about shaking the bottles of lusters. These are metallics in suspension and do not need to be shaken, nor should they be. If you shake the bottle, bubbles form which will burst and leave pin holes in your application.

Avery
right idea, wrong word.

suspension means that pieces of gold are present and floating, eventually settling out.

solution means the gold is chemically part of the liquid, and can't be removed without other chemical or physical means.
Brock

Post by Brock »

D'accord!

Avery
ecobbman

Post by ecobbman »

Liquid bright gold is a solution and does not need to be shaken. I just got a bottle off e-bay that was 50 years old and had thickened, but nothing settled out. Liquid burnish gold has fine gold powder suspended in it, will settle and needs to be shaken.
Mary Lou

Post by Mary Lou »

Can the Essence which I've used for cleaning with 2 bottles of Hanovia Gold be used for anything, like tinting?
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

try one drop on a piece of scrap and fire it in the kiln.
May be gold or may be ...... purple!!!!!
Purple means keep cleaning brushes in it. :lol:
Nina Falk

Post by Nina Falk »

be prepared for your studio to smell up quite a bit. leave a window open, run a fan.
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Nina Falk wrote:be prepared for your studio to smell up quite a bit. leave a window open, run a fan.
Also vent the kiln up to at least 900ºF, to insure a complete burn off of the organics. Not venting can result in scum baked in to the glass.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions