What is a powder wafer?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Jeneen

What is a powder wafer?

Post by Jeneen »

I saw in the artists gallery that one artist used "powder wafer" to make his autumn leaf piece. More info on this technique would be appreciated.
Thanks
Brock

Post by Brock »

A powder wafer is made by sifting fine powdered glass through a stencil, or doily, or even a simple cut out design in a piece of paper. The stencil is then removed and a contrasting coloured background powder is then sifted over the primary design. The resulting thin wafer is the fired to aprox. 1285F for 10 minutes and it will be a cohesive granular component to be used as a design element in a larger piece.

Kudos to Bob Leatherbarrow for sharing this technique. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
rodney

Post by rodney »

ON THE POWDER,,,,,is this material all of the fine stuff in the crushed glass, or is the "flour" glass washed away,,,,can anyone tell me the MESH SIZE of the powder on these wafers

thanks
rodney
Brock

Post by Brock »

rodney wrote:ON THE POWDER,,,,,is this material all of the fine stuff in the crushed glass, or is the "flour" glass washed away,,,,can anyone tell me the MESH SIZE of the powder on these wafers

thanks
rodney
The finest powder. Bullseye's nomenclature is 08. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Paul Tarlow

Re: What is a powder wafer?

Post by Paul Tarlow »

Jeneen wrote:I saw in the artists gallery that one artist used "powder wafer" to make his autumn leaf piece. More info on this technique would be appreciated.
Thanks
Exactly what Brock said -- especially the kudos to Bob (where I learned the technique). The only part that might not have been clear from his description is that you are sifting the powder directly onto the kiln-washed shelf.

Here's another leaf example: http://www.izm.com/pond.htm

One of the best things about powder wafers is that it is relatively low cost to experiement. I've been building a long list of color recipes and powder application techniques. The possibilities are endless. If you can get to one of Bob's classes you won't be disappointed.

- Paul
Jeneen

thanks

Post by Jeneen »

You guys are awesome! Thanks for the info. I will have to try this technique.
Jeneen
Jeneen

thanks

Post by Jeneen »

You guys are awesome! Thanks for the info. I will have to try this technique.
Jeneen
Rebecca M.

Post by Rebecca M. »

I've been trying these powder wafers and love the effects, but I've been trying to cap with clear. Wafer on a color base, so it's a wafer sandwich. I can't seem to get by with no bubbles on a full fuse. I tried to put the wafer on top and then full fuse, but the details got lost. These are pretty small pieces.
I've got a new batch of wafers cooking now and intend to A) try chips(chads?) of clear on the corners under the clear. B) try a full fuse with the two pieces first and then contour fuse the wafer C) ditch the whole thing :cry:
I really want a smooth top surface, no or very little bubbles with detail. Too much to ask? I don't know, this is my first time trying these.
Any tips would be greatly appreciated before I waste another batch.
charlie

Post by charlie »

2 firings. first is with the wafer, 2nd is with the cap.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Becca,

Whatever you do don't ditch the idea of sandwiching the wafer. The other two ideas you had will work. Also try placing the wafer near the edge of the piece... this allows the air to escape. Also try a squeeze at 1250 for 45 minutes or so.

It can be done... trust me.

Cheers,

Bob
Cher

Post by Cher »

Not only awesome, but all of you folks on this board are inspiring! I've just broke down and ordered a large-type kiln (new) today, adding the papa kiln to go w/mama and baby kilns. I want to do it all!
Yo 8)
Rebecca M.

Post by Rebecca M. »

Thanks Bob and Charlie. :D
Followed Charlie's advice last night and that worked pretty well. Except that some of the lower edges of the wafer curled up. Too much powder there?Not enough heat?Too much heat? Operator error for sure, so experiments continue.....
Bob, I'm not really going to ditch. These are too much fun and turn out way too cool. (when one or two out of 10 are close to perfect) Like a little mini painting. Just gotta up my percentage. Will follow your advice and keep on truckin.
Becca
Rebecca M.

Post by Rebecca M. »

Thanks Bob and Charlie. :D
Followed Charlie's advice last night and that worked pretty well. Except that some of the lower edges of the wafer curled up. Too much powder there?Not enough heat?Too much heat? Operator error for sure, so experiments continue.....
Bob, I'm not really going to ditch. These are too much fun and turn out way too cool. (when one or two out of 10 are close to perfect) Like a little mini painting. Just gotta up my percentage. Will follow your advice and keep on truckin.
Becca
Pat Watkins

wafer

Post by Pat Watkins »

I don't know how to start...since this site is such a great way to learn....but after reading this posting; I too tried the wafer effect sandwiched.

So I must have way overheated the second time with the capp because my wafers disappeared. Or was it because they were too thin?

Please help, I thought just to finish the piece I would redo the wafers ...and maybe have like a 3-D affect??? Or should I scratch it and start again?

It's just too ko-ol not to do it. Right now the stringers show through and like a ghost bubble of the pattern...so it doesn't make sense right now. It sorta looks like asian graphics.

Please help
Chip

Post by Chip »

Paul Tarlow wrote:Here's another leaf example: http://www.izm.com/pond.htm
Paul,
The leaf in the pond is the powder wafer? (BTW, once again, every time I look at this peice I am just in awe. It really touches something deep in me)

So if I read Brock correctly, you got a "pattern" of a leaf, sifted down a background, then removed the pattern and used other colors to accent the peice?
Thanks.
Chip
Micah 6.8
Chip

Post by Chip »

I can't believe I misspelled piece, not once, but TWICE. :oops:

Okay Chip, 100 times now: i before e, except after c. :shock:
Chip
Micah 6.8
Stephie

Post by Stephie »

Hey Brock, would you please post Bob's url. I have looked and looked and can't find it ](*,) .
Thanks
Stephie
Paul Tarlow

Post by Paul Tarlow »

Chip wrote:
Paul Tarlow wrote:Here's another leaf example: http://www.izm.com/pond.htm
Paul,
The leaf in the pond is the powder wafer? (BTW, once again, every time I look at this peice I am just in awe. It really touches something deep in me)

So if I read Brock correctly, you got a "pattern" of a leaf, sifted down a background, then removed the pattern and used other colors to accent the peice?
Thanks.
Close - the leaf (like many powder wafers) was made in reverse -- design-side down against the shelf. So the details go on first, working towards the back ofthe leaf.

- Paul
Paul Tarlow

Post by Paul Tarlow »

Stephie wrote:Hey Brock, would you please post Bob's url. I have looked and looked and can't find it ](*,) .
Thanks
I'm not Brock :) but here's Bob's website:

http://www.leatherbarrow.ca

You can also get to it by scrolling up to his message and clicking the "www" button.

- Paul
Stephie

Post by Stephie »

:oops: Duh ...
Thanks
Stephie