Painters:Badger blender static?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Joseph Tracy

Painters:Badger blender static?

Post by Joseph Tracy »

One of my greatest frustrations in painting glass is the appearance of dust and hairs which seems to occur most often when using a blender. I remember in a physics class where the teacher rubbed a glass rod with some fur to give it a large static charge. Could this be happening with the badgerhairs on the glass, and creating the dreaded static cling? Has anyone found this problem or better yet, a way to alleviate it?
Hi everyone; it's been a while. I 've been checking in but haven't had much to say.
Bert Weiss

Re: Painters:Badger blender static?

Post by Bert Weiss »

Joseph Tracy wrote:One of my greatest frustrations in painting glass is the appearance of dust and hairs which seems to occur most often when using a blender. I remember in a physics class where the teacher rubbed a glass rod with some fur to give it a large static charge. Could this be happening with the badgerhairs on the glass, and creating the dreaded static cling? Has anyone found this problem or better yet, a way to alleviate it?
Hi everyone; it's been a while. I 've been checking in but haven't had much to say.
Try washing your blender with soap and warm water (not hot).

Bert
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Dani

Post by Dani »

Have you tried the guilders trick of running the bristles over your head? Or perhaps this is another job for nose oil. (Extensive writing on this in Lapidary Journal.)
PaulS

Post by PaulS »

Dani wrote:Have you tried the guilders trick of running the bristles over your head? Or perhaps this is another job for nose oil. (Extensive writing on this in Lapidary Journal.)
Your homework is to write 100 times;

This is how I spell gilder!

:wink:
It ain't where you're from, it's where you're at!
Dani

Post by Dani »

Your assignment is to make friends with "Dic"(tionary... we calls him "Dick" 'cause we went to school together. I know at least one person on this board who can attribute that quote!) Both spellings are correct and relate to the application of gold leaf. Secondly, the blender in question is a large brush made of badger hair.... not the whirly kind that you plug into a wall socket. How many of you out there were confused?

Grins,

Dani
Joseph Tracy

Post by Joseph Tracy »

I frequently wash my blender with soap and warm water. I take it no one else has encountered this so perhaps ambient dust, but it seems to happen after several smooth dust free blending strokes, then dust seems to appear.

I have to tell you I feel laughed at here. Ha Ha.
PaulS

Post by PaulS »

Joseph Tracy wrote:I frequently wash my blender with soap and warm water. I take it no one else has encountered this so perhaps ambient dust, but it seems to happen after several smooth dust free blending strokes, then dust seems to appear.

Not at all Joseph, nobody is laughing at you. I clean and dry my brushes the same way as Bert described. Then store them 'whiskers up' in a glass. The bristles have a paper 'hat' to keep them clean and dry.

I try to keep the workplace, as when gilding, as clean and dust-free as possible.

HTH,

Paul
It ain't where you're from, it's where you're at!
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Paul Stevenson wrote:
Not at all Joseph, nobody is laughing at you. I clean and dry my brushes the same way as Bert described. Then store them 'whiskers up' in a glass. The bristles have a paper 'hat' to keep them clean and dry.

I try to keep the workplace, as when gilding, as clean and dust-free as possible. Paul
Joe

Ditto

I'd love to learn a trick relative to keeping paint cleaner.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Paul Stevenson wrote:
Joseph Tracy wrote:I frequently wash my blender with soap and warm water. I take it no one else has encountered this so perhaps ambient dust, but it seems to happen after several smooth dust free blending strokes, then dust seems to appear.

I try to keep the workplace, as when gilding, as clean and dust-free as possible. Paul
Joe

Ditto

I'd love to learn a trick relative to keeping paint cleaner.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

[/quote]

Joe

Ditto

I'd love to learn a trick relative to keeping paint cleaner.[/quote]

I made all my palettes (pallets?) for each color about 11" square., so they'd fit inside large ziplock bags. That keeps the dust out of them and I can stack them. I also keep my badger blender upright, in a bud vase and there it stays: I use an airbrush.

I was recently taught by people who really know their stuff to only wash the tip of the badger blender, and only occasionally at that. But that was after I did years of washing the whole thing and spinning it between my hands so the water flies all over the place.
Dani

Post by Dani »

I, too, love the twirling technique simply for the drama. Washing the entire brush is, of course, not good for the wood into which the badger hair is inserted. Over time, this causes the hairs to fall out, and is true of any brush. With very expensive brushes like blenders that cost upwards of $200 and should last for decades, well, how you wash them becomes a major issue. I have a nice little palette cabinet in which I slide the glass trays and that holds at least two dozen. Very handy.

Cheers,

Dani