Is old kilnwash inert?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Peg

Is old kilnwash inert?

Post by Peg »

Until recently my back garden was a building site, and I happily sanded my kiln shelves clean outside, allowing the kilnwash dust to settle on the rubble.
But now I've cleared the site and planted lots of plants.... can anyone tell me whether I'm poisoning the flowers, or is old kilnwash chemically inert?
(I'm using the usual pink kilnwash)
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

The major component in kilnwash is kaolin which is a form of aluminum-silicate clay. Like most clays, it is probably harmless, but I wouldn't suggest using it for a mud-bath or anything like that as it tends to draw water from the skin as it hydrates.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Lynne Chappell

Post by Lynne Chappell »

Yeah, it's sort of a kind of dirt anyway. I might worry about the dye. Maybe you don't want it on your vegetable garden. It could also cause some change in the pH level of your soil if there was enough of it (a lot of plants really don't like things like plaster). I don't actually know this, it may be totally neutral.