Tiles - roughing up the back - remind me

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Cheryl

Tiles - roughing up the back - remind me

Post by Cheryl »

I was thinking about fusing Uro noodles to the back of some kitchen tiles just to make sure they have enough "tooth" to adhere well. Overkill? What can I get away with?
Barbara Cashman

Post by Barbara Cashman »

Overkill. Fire on a textured surface or sandblast, if you are concerned.
Lia Howe

Post by Lia Howe »

Fire on Fibre Blanket. It creates a rough surface. Great for what your trying to do.Lia
gone

Post by gone »

110J with a little kiln wash sprinkled on works great and is quite durable.

Els
Lyn

fiber blanket?

Post by Lyn »

Lia, I have some fiber blanket from ceramic days and was wondering if you can slump on or over it, could you explain further. Lyn
Lia Howe

Post by Lia Howe »

Fibre blanket will work for both. You just have to use some caution that it doesn't rip or seperate while you are slumping. It becomes very fragile when it gets hot. The weight of it can cause it to tear while it hot.Hope this helps.Lia
Cheryl

Actually...

Post by Cheryl »

I was considering the noodles because I already am slumping the "front" of the tiles thru cut fiberpaper so cannot simultaneously texture the back. Perhaps I could do something with weights and fiberpaper - a fiber/glass/fiber sandwich.
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

i think you are worrying way too much about this. are the tiles going in a shower or around a pool or some other place where they will be constantly wet? if not they will stick just fine. you can wet sand them or dry sand them or sandblast if you just are not comfy with smooth backs. rosanna
vidrio

tiles and glue

Post by vidrio »

rosanna gusler wrote:i think you are worrying way too much about this. are the tiles going in a shower or around a pool or some other place where they will be constantly wet? if not they will stick just fine. you can wet sand them or dry sand them or sandblast if you just are not comfy with smooth backs. rosanna
What glue do you use to adhere tiles to other surfaces?

Vidrio
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

depends, liquid nails, sikaflex, whatever the tileguy in home depot hands me, and on one occasion, elmers glue for a backsplash in a rental. those were supposed to be easy to remove. not. rosanna