Spectrum 96 White - discoloration?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Kim Bellis

Spectrum 96 White - discoloration?

Post by Kim Bellis »

Hello everyone! I used Spectrum 96 white yesterday for the first time - I normally use BE. Anyhow, I cut a 8" diameter out of the white and then used a few small Spectrum black squares and did a full fuse. The white turned brown. It came out great and I actually like it better than the white. What could of caused this? I did fire on thin-fire.
I'm confused! :-k
Thanks for your help
Kim
[/i]
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

That is strange... I've never seen that happen before and I've used a lot of the white from many different lots.

Can you post a picture?

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Kim Bellis

Post by Kim Bellis »

Tony: It is slumping right now, but I will post a picture. Thanks
Marty

Post by Marty »

Have you tried an overglaze (spray A or its ilk)?
It worked sometimes.
Kim Bellis

Post by Kim Bellis »

Marty:
I didn't use overglaze on this piece. Do you think that would have kept the white from turing brown? It is just really wierd how the color went from bright white to brown. It is in the kiln right now ramping down from a slump - will post a pic and maybe we can figure it out from there.
Thanks
Kim
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

did it turn brown on both the top and bottom??

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Kim Bellis

Post by Kim Bellis »

Tony:
Yes, it turned brown on all sides. It is an even change of color on top and bottom and sides. What I mean by that is - there is no variation of going from lighter to darker - it just all went to a brown. This is the first time that I've had glass change color on me..wierd.
Kim
Dick Ditore

Post by Dick Ditore »

Was it the spectrum 96, or just spectrum? Sometimes the non tested do weird things. I have used 96 black, red, and white in lots of combinations, and never had it change. Could you have had a contaminant on the shelf or in the kiln? Silver stain or other products could have an effect.

Dick
Kim Bellis

Post by Kim Bellis »

Dan: It was Spectrum 96. I fired on the same shelf I have used forever, I did use thinfire - no colorants. Normal fuse routine... It doesn't look like it will be cool enough for me to take out of the kiln tonight - so I will post pic in the morning. Along with a piece of the white I cut from.
Thanks
Kim
Rebecca M.

Post by Rebecca M. »

Maybe a silly question, but did you vent until the thinfire returned to white? I've heard it can discolor, but to the extent you had? I don't know.
Kim Bellis

Post by Kim Bellis »

Here is the image of the piece along with a scrap of the original. I am starting to wonder if it was a true white. I know that in Efferte some pieces are strikers. I can't find the ID number for this - I am sure that would help. Thanks for all your help
[/url]www.glassaddict.com/color.change.htm[/url] http://www.glassaddict.com/color.change.htm
[/img]
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

What a gorgeous color!!! I have no idea how it got to be that way though. I've never seen white strike like that.

Tony
Kim Bellis

Post by Kim Bellis »

I have emailed Spectrum and attached the image - perhaps they can tell me what happened. Along with the ID number so I can get more - I really like the color too. Will let you know what they say
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

You may be better off to call them. Call 425-483-6699 and ask for Jim Gregory. Let me know what he says.

Tony
Patty Gray

Post by Patty Gray »

By chance instead of white is this Opalized Champagne? The piece on the right witht the mark doen't look true white in the picture. Nice work by the way. Patty
lissa

Post by lissa »

That was my first thought too, looks like a striking color. If that's the case you'll be in luck as you can be sure of getting it again.

lissa.
Kaye

Post by Kaye »

Strange! I've made dozens of coasters and lately a bunch of Christmas ornaments (just fusing ceramic decals on a single thickness of 96) and have never gotten anything but snow white--even when using Thinfire. Like you originally said, the color you got is pretty cool, though!

Kaye
Kim Bellis

Post by Kim Bellis »

Spectrum has yet to email me back - Thanks Tony for thier phone number. I am going to my supplier in the morning with a "scrap" piece and match it up. As Pam said it might be the Champaigne (excuse spelling) It sure looks white to me - but when I help it up against a peice of scrap white bullseye - it looks more like a cream color. As soon as I figure out what color it is - I will be sure to let everyone know and of course, I will be purchasing more.

One thing that still puzzles me is that even if it is champaigne it went about several shades darker after fusing. I've just never experienced that before - not this drastic. I am happy with the results tho.

Kim
Lynne Chappell

Post by Lynne Chappell »

My bet is that it is the champagne. If you don't look closely you can mistake it for white. It usually darkens on firing.