Wasser dots

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

smilemakers

Wasser dots

Post by smilemakers »

I purchased some small Wasser glass dots on ebay a few months ago. I want more and can't find a source. Can anyone help??? They were very small and fire wonderfully.
Mike Byers

Post by Mike Byers »

The folks at DTI/Wasser tell me they're planning to make the dots again, but don't have a date for this set. Here's hoping they make the little five-pointed stars again, too.
Bev Brandt

Post by Bev Brandt »

I don't know how big the Wasser dots were because I've never used them. But if you want to make your own "dots" you can use BE rods and snip them into roughly 1/8 inch sections with a tile nipper. Just be sure you do that inside a box of some sort or you'll never find the dots after they're snipped. There are at least 20 such dots behind my workbench somewhere.

I call any piece I make with these dots part of my Repetitive Stress Injury Series.

- Bev
Bev Brandt
smilemakers

Post by smilemakers »

Thanks Mike and Bev I'll keep looking

Mike, I've seen the wasser stars on ebay recently.

Bev, I've thought about trying the rods if I can't soon get my hands on some of the dots. They were roughly 4 or 5mm with the thickness of a dime.
Mike Byers

Post by Mike Byers »

As I remember, the dots came in at least two sizes, around 1/8" and around 1/4". You could also get the "perforated glass" from which the dots were punched. I've still got a couple of small pieces of this left, and again I'm hoping DTI/Wasser will make this available, too. When fused between layers, you could get perfect small air bubbles at each hole: a nice effect. I've been duplicating the Wasser dots by pulling stringer from strips of Wasser and cutting this up, but the pre-made dots were more consistent and far easier to use when you needed large quantities.
Bev Brandt

Post by Bev Brandt »

smilemakers wrote:Thanks Mike and Bev I'll keep looking

Mike, I've seen the wasser stars on ebay recently.

Bev, I've thought about trying the rods if I can't soon get my hands on some of the dots. They were roughly 4 or 5mm with the thickness of a dime.
I found it difficult to keep an even thickness in my home-made dots. I was using one of those wheeled nippers, so a different tool might work better (or worse!) But most were close enough to being the same thickness - they were thicker than a dime - and at full fuse, they were fine. I have some samples I did at tack fuse and though they're not all the same thickness, it's still a pretty nice look.

- Bev
Bev Brandt