UVA curing Glue

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

SusanH

UVA curing Glue

Post by SusanH »

The glue discussion prompts me to mention that I want to glue a fused glass float design on to the front of a mirror - which is quite large 58" x 36" and I intend the design to be a 6" band all the way around the whole design.

The design is such that the mirror can be seen thru float glass, therefore I'm told that UV glue is best for strength and clearness.
Barbara Cashman

Post by Barbara Cashman »

Well, that's quite ambitious, I must say. Usually, it's difficult to bond such large pieces effectively. Can be done, I "think", with some sheer determination and patience. If there was any way to conceal the "dots" of glue in inconspicuous places, I would suggest that. When I adhere my mirrors on tile, it is a full coverage. Therefore, a large area is difficult to control. You have to push the bubbles out and move the adhesive completely to the outside edges. Then you must hold or clamp the piece as long as it takes to cure properly. Remember, this whole assembly would have to be exposed to the UV light to cure. My suggestion would be to explore a 2-part optically-clear epoxy that could be hidden at the juncture points. Maybe make the opaque pieces part of the design. Without a "hands-on" with you, it's a little more difficult to address. - Barbara
ellen abbott

Post by ellen abbott »

I do a lot of laminating with UV glue. You have to develop a technique. Also I try to limit the sizes of the pieces. Send me an e-mail for my phone # and I will be happy to share info. It's just too long to sit down and type out.

E