Reactive glass firing and devit

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Ron Coleman

Reactive glass firing and devit

Post by Ron Coleman »

I'm working on a piece that has a lot of BE French Vanilla. I didn't use any devit spray because I figured it would kill the reactive quality of the glass. After three firings the French Vanilla has a very matt finish and lost most of the warm color and is mostly a flat off-white. Before the next firing with some reactive decorations I'm going to sandblast the surface and hopefully remove all the devit.

The big question, will the warm color of the French Vanilla return after blasting? :-k

Ron
Lynne Chappell

Post by Lynne Chappell »

Never done this, but I think you may find that the color change is only on the top surface. I know that a little bit of silver will warm it up some.
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Re: Reactive glass firing and devit

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

Ron Coleman wrote:I'm working on a piece that has a lot of BE French Vanilla. I didn't use any devit spray because I figured it would kill the reactive quality of the glass. After three firings the French Vanilla has a very matt finish and lost most of the warm color and is mostly a flat off-white. Before the next firing with some reactive decorations I'm going to sandblast the surface and hopefully remove all the devit.

The big question, will the warm color of the French Vanilla return after blasting? :-k

Ron
Some of these glasses R micro cristaline or got some form of solid in em

B that bubles or metals or sand type stuff

These can devitrify thougout the glass as the glass is full of neucleation points

Then again could B a surface thing

I cant C U got a lot 2 loose by sandblasting

How U multi coloured glass types get on 4 consistancy I dont know

I only realy got 3 or so variabbles over the last 20 years or so n I still get problems with weird ness

Brian
gone

Post by gone »

Hi Ron,

It seems that the creamy transparent is on the surface and the center is eggshell white. The newer stuff tends to be whiter than even last years. What has worked for me is to sprinkle a small amount of 1437 light amber powder on the surface. It reacts to the same colors as the french vanilla.

Els
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

I find that making the vanilla sheet from frit builds in the color gradations. So you may be able to get some of the creamy color range back by furing fine vanilla frit on top. Have never blasted vanilla and fired again so i don't know if you can get it back, but when I slice the vanilla (frit glass) the color is all even on the inside.
Barbara
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS