Small Kiln Recommendations

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Candy Kahn

Small Kiln Recommendations

Post by Candy Kahn »

I want to purchase a small inexpensive kiln to make sample tiles and small pieces of jewelry - Which small kilns do you like and why.

Thanks
candy
Candy Kahn
Art in Glass
Jon Wunderlich

Post by Jon Wunderlich »

Candy,

I got a Paragon Fusion 7, and love it. 14 1/2 inches (7 sided) 6 1/2 tall.
Shop around, they can be found for under 600 dollars. You can't do tall vases but it's easy to use, digital controller included.

Jon
Susan Moore

Post by Susan Moore »

Candy,

What dimensions are the sample tiles?

I have an Evenheat hot box for making jewelry and I love it. Costs around $350 with a couple shelves - 4.5" square. You can also get a viewing window for the top - costs around $40 or $50 extra. No controller though, just a 5-speed dial. I don't think that you need a controller for jewelry but perhaps for your tiles you may want one.

Susan
Karen Laing

Post by Karen Laing »

I started out with a hotbox because I couldn't wait until Glass Visions to buy one and got a good deal here in Canada.

I purchased the aim kiln that Jayne Persico uses to to do her bracelets, watches and pulling cane. It is a great size (and you can get it from Warner Crivellaro for $250) which you wouldn't be able to do those in a larger one.

I must admit having the extra inches in the kiln is nice for what I can slump 7" shelf.

Next I want to get the large evenheat or take Bert Weiss's kiln building course and build my own large kiln.

As my husband says, he created a monster when I got into stained glass more seriously and now with the warm glass I must agree. I still have a long way to match what he has in his shop though..... :)