tried & true firing schedule not working anymore

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

shasta

tried & true firing schedule not working anymore

Post by shasta »

my perfect firing schedule is failing me. i've been using these times for 6 months, same kiln, same glass, same thickness. the kiln is just over a year old, a paragon. do kilns need to be re-calibrated or something i don't know about. it was quite a sudden change it worked and then suddenly was underfiring and has been for a week. any ideas why this is? this isn't what i need on the big ramp up for xmas. :(

tanks.
diana
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

What does you schedule look like? More information please.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
jim simmons

Re: tried & true firing schedule not working anymore

Post by jim simmons »

shasta wrote:my perfect firing schedule is failing me. i've been using these times for 6 months, same kiln, same glass, same thickness. the kiln is just over a year old, a paragon. do kilns need to be re-calibrated or something i don't know about. it was quite a sudden change it worked and then suddenly was underfiring and has been for a week. any ideas why this is? this isn't what i need on the big ramp up for xmas. :(

tanks.
diana
If this was a sudden step function, you might want to check

A.check the thermocouple position to make sure it hasn't moved.
B. Callibrate the TC.
C. Make sure that the connections are not oxidized and are tight.
Jim
Suzan

Post by Suzan »

If your kiln is suddenly underfiring, verify if one or more elements need to be replaced.
Carol

Re: tried & true firing schedule not working anymore

Post by Carol »

shasta wrote:my perfect firing schedule is failing me. i've been using these times for 6 months, same kiln, same glass, same thickness. the kiln is just over a year old, a paragon. do kilns need to be re-calibrated or something i don't know about. it was quite a sudden change it worked and then suddenly was underfiring and has been for a week. any ideas why this is? this isn't what i need on the big ramp up for xmas. :(

tanks.
diana
Diana...call me if you want to borrow a pyrometer for a day or two for calibration.

Carol
Lynn Bishop

Post by Lynn Bishop »

My Paragon did this at the tender age of 4 months. It turned out that the controller was dying.
Lynn Bishop

Post by Lynn Bishop »

My Paragon did this at the tender age of 4 months. It turned out that the controller was dying.
shasta

Post by shasta »

upon further inspection, this is a front loader btw. i see the element coils have come out of the slot there supposed to be tucked in. the coil has contracted and therefore been pulled out. so i'd have to stretch it to get it back in. i don't know if that would harm it, to do so? hope this makes sense.
Tom White

Post by Tom White »

Shasta, I don't know if you are aware that kiln elements become very brittle when cold after they have been fired a few times. Do not try to move/stretch your elements while they are cold. Heat the element to red hot, turn the switch off , then quickly move the element before it cools. If it starts to feel stiff reheat it before moving it more.

Best wishes,
Tom in Texas
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

shasta wrote:upon further inspection, this is a front loader btw. i see the element coils have come out of the slot there supposed to be tucked in. the coil has contracted and therefore been pulled out. so i'd have to stretch it to get it back in. i don't know if that would harm it, to do so? hope this makes sense.
Check all the element conections in the back

Check all wiring connections

Check door seal

Check vents

Look 4 obvious things

Have U left the vents open

Not closed the door properly

One thing tho

A slight change in set up / spacing etc

Can make a big difference

Brian
shasta

Post by shasta »

thanks for everyones repsonses. it looks like that area that is out of the groove isn't heating up, its not red when the temperature is ramping up. i presume i need to get the coil element replaced. i don't have a clue as to where or to whom i could get a kiln fixed. an appliance repairer? electrician? i live in a pretty small town so resources are limited. is that a part that would be difficult for a repairman to get? anyone have this problemo before? help...
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

If the element's gone bad (and that sounds like what it is), you can get a replacement element and install it yourself. It's not that difficult, you just need to take it slow. Most kiln manufacturers will help you with the procedure, and most have the replacement element available for sale also.

Just contact the kiln manufacturer and ask about the element. There's also a list of other places that have elements on the Warm Glass site at: http://www.warmglass.com/Resources.htm#Kilnparts (note that one of the listed companies, Euclids, is in Canada).

Whoever you call, be prepared with the model and make of your kiln and the specific element that is out.