taking the back off of a mirror

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

jim simmons

taking the back off of a mirror

Post by jim simmons »

I have tried a 1/2 hour soak with two different mirror backs. one is black and one is a redish brown

1/2 hour soak in acetone, alcohol, methyl ethyl keytone( MEK ), and mineral spirits.

Nothing works very good. The acetone barely makes it so you can scrape it off woth a razor blade, but I can't get it really clean this way.

Am I overlooking something?
I havent tried gasolene yet.

Jim
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

Paint remover contains methylene chloride and will do the job.

Ron
charlie

Post by charlie »

any paint stripper. home depot has a number of different ones. i know jasco works well. do NOT use in an enclosed area or around a flame unless you have an abundance of brain cells to kill. damhikt.
Terry Ow-Wing

Re: taking the back off of a mirror

Post by Terry Ow-Wing »

I use the lacquer thinner, put it in a tray and cover it and leave it till I remember to fix it - probably at least overnight 8) - this is one of those gee I'm doing 5 things at once tricks for me.

-Good luck - Terry O.[

quote="jim simmons"]I have tried a 1/2 hour soak with two different mirror backs. one is black and one is a redish brown

1/2 hour soak in acetone, alcohol, methyl ethyl keytone( MEK ), and mineral spirits.

Nothing works very good. The acetone barely makes it so you can scrape it off woth a razor blade, but I can't get it really clean this way.

Am I overlooking something?
I havent tried gasolene yet.

Jim[/quote]
Terry Ow-Wing Designs
Kilnformed and Lampworked Glass Art
http://GlassArt.weebly.com
watershed

Post by watershed »

A mostly useless tip, but Kemper (kester?) Paste soldering flux, does a wonderfull job of eating mirror backing.

Also, when you buy it, choose wisely. Some Mirrors are electroplated, some just painted and covered with tar.

Plus, since mirror is VERY TOXIC when applied, I would imagine that it is VERY TOXIC when removed.

Greg
Marty

Post by Marty »

Are you removing the backing selectively (for a design)? Sandblast.

If you want to get the glass completely clear, why not buy float?
charlie

Post by charlie »

not really. the toxicity is because of the carrier for the silvering. sonce the silver is deposited, the rest goes away. you're really only left with the backer (paint/tar) and silver.
jim simmons

Post by jim simmons »

Marty wrote:Are you removing the backing selectively (for a design)? Sandblast.

If you want to get the glass completely clear, why not buy float?
This request was for my friend who wants to selectively remove the back from a mirror and then paint a portrait on it.

Thanks for all of the responses.

Jim
Mark Kemp

Post by Mark Kemp »

They sell a product in craft stores made specifially to selectively remove mirroring for decorative purposes. I haven't tried it though.
Peter A Cummings

Post by Peter A Cummings »

jim. I used a strong paint stripper to remove the cover paint,and a 10% nitric acid from the solder section, hardware store.Both dangerous,use gloves, glasses and fresh air.I found it hard to get clear outlines as both were so strong but the mirror picture is a great effect. Pure lemon juice can take the silver off with lots of scrubbing.