Taurus vs Gryphon

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Billie Myers

Taurus vs Gryphon

Post by Billie Myers »

I am looking at a Taurus II.2 ring saw and I hope someone can give me some advice. I know this is a popular saw, but has anyone used a Gryphon omni 1 wire saw? I am wondering which one will be the best to buy. Any opinions? I am still new to this and don't know what maintenance will be involved with the Taurus or the Gryphon. Thanks for your help!
Billie
Ross

Post by Ross »

I bought the Gryphon hoping to get the results I wanted at a bit less money. I ended up ordering the Taurus (love it!) and selling my Gryphon on EBAY. The Taurus costs more for parts etc, but it is a dream to use, especially compared to the Gryphon.

Ross
Tess Farley

Post by Tess Farley »

My first experience with a Gryphon Omni was terrible, so I returned it and got a Taurus, which is what I use on impossible cuts.
Cynthia

Taurus or Gryphon? Eether or either.

Post by Cynthia »

Check out this thread from the archives.

http://www.warmglass.com/cgi-bin/wgarch ... read=33774

I think it's a bit like Spectrum or Bullseye, Kiln wash or ThinFire, fiber or brick, evenheat or Jen-Ken...tomayto, tomawto, eether, either...It seems to boil down to individual preference.

Happy reading :wink:
Diane

Post by Diane »

I bought what I THOUGHT was my dream saw when I got a gryphon and it turned out to be more like a NIGHTMARE. :evil: It chews through bottom guides faster then you can say, "I shoulda bought a Taurus".
I'd rather work with designs that don't require a saw at all then bother with it.
Good Luck, Diane
Tess Farley

Post by Tess Farley »

The blade on my Gryphon Omni got so hot in the first 20 minutes of use that it became fused on those cheapo plastic bottom guides! So after only 20 minutes of use, my new Omni became inoperable. Nightmare is a good word for it Diane.
Judy Schnabel

Post by Judy Schnabel »

Billie,

I love my Taurus. My husband probably doesn't like it at all. Every time something goes wrong he has to fix it. You soon learn little sounds that alert you that something isn't quite right. Keeping your ears tuned will save you lots of broken blades.

I've had mine about a year now and have broken the "running boards" twice. I'm not sure if that's the proper term, but that's what came to my mind.

I really do love the saw though. You can do fantastic things with it.

Judy
bex

Post by bex »

got a taurus and to be frank i never use it.. little things popping and snapping, blades breaking, grommets er, gunging, ...

also blades so expensive to replace in uk, have problems getting hold of em, so now i just dont use it

and having paid £500 quid for the damn thing, was a bit of an expensive doorstop heheheheh

still, keeps a nice through breeze coming in workshop :O)
bex :roll:
Linda Matteson

Taurus vs: gyphon saws

Post by Linda Matteson »

I have two taurus saws and love them. When one needs overhauling such as blade, or grommets need changing I go to the second saw and keep on going. Then as my time becomes available I overhaul the first saw. The people at Gemini Saw are very accommodating and turn around time on a saw that needs factory work is very good and not too costly. I've been using my taurus saws since l999.

Linda

HourGlassWorks
Tracy

Taurus vs Gryphon

Post by Tracy »

I have a gryphon and would not recomend it. Granted, I have never tried any other kind so I have nothing to compare. I find the blade is tricky to keep on and always wants to come off when cutting. (Good eye protection is a must!)

-Tracy
LindaJo

Post by LindaJo »

I have had a Taurus for 4 years. I don't use it a lot, but I love it. I guess a lot is personal preference. I only use my saw for dificult cuts when doing stained glass. Never had a problem. Good luck on your choice, I suppose you will find pro and con for any product. Eljay