2nd firing kiln wash Q?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

rosanna gusler

2nd firing kiln wash Q?

Post by rosanna gusler »

hi all i am making a bunch of christmas ornaments right now. i am going to add gold . i want to pull the shelves full of fused ornaments out of the kiln, add gold, put the shelves back and fire on the gold. same kiln wash. i plan on applying the gold with out picking up or moving the ornaments. (in a perfect world..) i use berts kilnwash 80/20 recipe. this will be float glass and bottle glass. gold firing at about 1240f in my kiln. think it will work? rosanna
Brock

Re: 2nd firing kiln wash Q?

Post by Brock »

rosanna gusler wrote:hi all i am making a bunch of christmas ornaments right now. i am going to add gold . i want to pull the shelves full of fused ornaments out of the kiln, add gold, put the shelves back and fire on the gold. same kiln wash. i plan on applying the gold with out picking up or moving the ornaments. (in a perfect world..) i use berts kilnwash 80/20 recipe. this will be float glass and bottle glass. gold firing at about 1240f in my kiln. think it will work? rosanna
I do it all the time with BE kiln wash. The wash is either stuck to the shelf, or it's stuck to the back of your piece(s), but either way it's still acting as a seperator. I haven't tried it with a wash of those proportions. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

thanks brock. i thought so. i just needed to hear that somebody had done that. you are somebody. lol. rosanna
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Rosanna

Firing to 1240 presents no issues with refiring kiln wash. You can do it over and over. 1400º F is the temp after which there can be issues of glass getting scummy.

When I an making wash for my ss bowls that are fired to around 1300 or 1350, I use 50/50 aluminahydrate/kaolin which is basically the BE wash recipe. It makes a harder wash that will hold up better.

The reason for 80/20 is that it can be removed with a paper towel.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

thanks bert, makes sense. i will try the other ratio for my ss forms. i really like that table. nice and sparkely. rosanna
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

i do it regularly with a 50/50 mix. small pieces, not big ones.
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

rosanna gusler wrote:thanks bert, makes sense. i will try the other ratio for my ss forms. i really like that table. nice and sparkely. rosanna
50 / 50

4 U

In my mix I got a bita bentonite n gum arabic

Brian
Lynne Chappell

Post by Lynne Chappell »

You didn't say how high the first fuse firing was, however you're probably OK since you're not going that high on the second time around. But I never do it. I really hate kiln wash sticking to the back of my glass.

And as to different wash for SS forms: I don't really like the BE wash on them, although I love it on my shelves. I prefer the Hotline wash, which I would guess is a higher alumina content (just because it seems so much finer and softer). It doesn't flake off as easily as the BE.
Brock

Post by Brock »

. . . . And as to different wash for SS forms: I don't really like the BE wash on them, although I love it on my shelves. I prefer the Hotline wash, which I would guess is a higher alumina content (just because it seems so much finer and softer). It doesn't flake off as easily as the BE.

I've never coated my SS molds with enough material to flake off. Just several thin sprayed on coats and you're good for years. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Cheryl

new discovery!

Post by Cheryl »

I had some shelves that were giving me grief - wash just didn't want to scrape off. I could've changed the blade in my scraper, but I thought I'd live on the edge (so what else is new) and re-coat them with new wash anyway. Well, the new wash never dried - it stayed sticky even overnight. But then all the wash, old and new, scraped off with no effort at all. Like soaking a scummy pan in the sink overnight. :lol: