Another Fiber Board Question

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

jim burchett

Another Fiber Board Question

Post by jim burchett »

I also have just gotten some 1" FB and appreciated the info about firing it. Now is it better to carve the mold before or after firing the board? New to fusing and this is a wonderful source of information, I really appreciate it..Thanks. javascript:emoticon(':D')
javascript:emoticon(':D')
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Makes no difference.
Stephie

Post by Stephie »

Fiber Board and Kieser-Lee(Sp?) are different right? It is my understanding you don't have to prefire the KL, is that correct?
Thanks, Stephie
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Stephie wrote:Fiber Board and Kieser-Lee(Sp?) are different right? It is my understanding you don't have to prefire the KL, is that correct?
Kaiser-Lee board comes pre-fired. http://www.kaiser-lee-glass-art.com/
Lynne Chappell

Post by Lynne Chappell »

The board is quite a bit softer after firing, and damages easier. And I actually never prefire it, I haven't noticed any difference in the glass if I use a new piece of board or one that has already been fired.
Lori

Post by Lori »

So you don't have to prefire the board? Does it still emit nasty smoke and odors if you don't prefire it?

I have my kiln in the basement in a room that is concrete flooring and walls. But the rest of the basement is carpeted. I'm worried that if I use fiberboard in the basement, it will smell up the carpet for some time. Any comments?
Amy Schleif-Mohr

Post by Amy Schleif-Mohr »

Lori,

When you burn out the binders it will smoke and stink like you wouldn't believe. My kilns are in my basement as well and I just put a fan in the window on high and don't go down there until it's over 1000F. I pre-fire the board to the temp. I'm going to be working at.

You may want to ridgidize the board first before you do the burn out. This way it will last longer and your chances of being exposed to the fibers will be minimized.

Amy
meltdown

Post by meltdown »

I was wondering if many of you had used the Kaiser Board and did you really fuse and slump in one process???? If so, what temp. did you go to?
Would it still be around the 1450 mark? Also, who carries it for sale?
Dolores

Post by Dolores »

C & R Loo carries the kaiser Lee fiber board, although they don't actually give it that name in their catalog (just called "fiber board" and states that it's pre-fired and ready to use). Haven't had a chance to try it myself...maybe after the Holiday rush (ha! things NEVER slow down around here! What an optimist I am).

DOLORES (Looking forward to HGH next week in Portland...yipee!)
Gale aka artistefem

Post by Gale aka artistefem »

Carve the fiber board before firing. (Wear a mask and keep your vacumn handy, w/ hepa-filter if possible, to suck up the loose particles generated by your carving.)

Once the board is fired it's harder to create smooth carved surfaces or crisp cut edges. With each successive firing the board becomes more fragile. Applying rigidizer after you carve will help slow this breaking down process.

I haven't used Kaiser-Lee, just regular (non-dense) 1" board. Maybe the K-L has a better after-firing texture for carving. Haven't needed to prefire - can slump and fuse on board at the same time - have never had a problem with huge bubbles or craters. The fiber/air structure of the board allows the gasses to escape during firing.
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

Cynthia hit on the reason I like to work the board before firing, safety. There are far fewer ceramic fibers drifting around when you work with the uncooked board. Even so, I'd scrupulously follow her advice. In addition to the respirator and vaccuum, I always wear a hat when working with fibrous or dusty materials. Your hair is a great filter, and will trap airbornes, then you bring it home. If it is really thick, change your clothes, bag the dirties, and wash them seperately.
Lori

Post by Lori »

I'm still not sure if I should prefire the board in my basement or not. Does the smell linger in carpeting/draperies after its done cooking? I assume that even if I don't prefire the board, that if I use the board in normal fusing, it will smell up the place.

I bought the kind of board that is recommended to prefire but I'm thinking of abandoning it and buying some Kaiser-Lee. As with many things in fusion, I learn after the fact what I should have know before I spent the money.
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

Lori-When I first fired up my big kilns, which are completely lined with 1" board, the smoke and smell were impressive. I was a little concerned that an alarmed neighbor would organize a bucket brigade. Although my studio was filled with sweetish and acrid (yet with a touch of oak and stone fruits) smoke, it dissapated fairly quickly. I's say within a few days there was no odor left. Realize that my studio has concrete floors, walls and ceiling. I skimped on oriental carpeting and chintz drapes, so it may not be a good comparison for you. Just not a whole lot to absorb smell in my place. Why don't you get a couple of box fans and have one draw air in from the outside, the other push the smokey stuff out.
charlie

Post by charlie »

good idea, but don't inhale. that'll push the smell further into the house through every little crack there is (electric plugs, plumbing access, etc). exhale only.
Lori

Post by Lori »

It sounds like I'm better off skipping this and finding an alternative such as the prefired board. I'm glad I found out in advance. Thanks.