Which side of powder wafer to fuse to base?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Andrea

Which side of powder wafer to fuse to base?

Post by Andrea »

I am wondering if the smooth side of the wafer that was against the kiln shelf will lose its powdery appearance if I fuse that side up under a layer of clear? Would I be better off puting the wafer on top going to full fuse then adding a top layer in another firing? Thanks
Brock

Re: Which side of powder wafer to fuse to base?

Post by Brock »

Andrea wrote:I am wondering if the smooth side of the wafer that was against the kiln shelf will lose its powdery appearance if I fuse that side up under a layer of clear? Would I be better off puting the wafer on top going to full fuse then adding a top layer in another firing? Thanks
If you are making them correctly, the smooth side, that was against the shelf, would be the design side. Quite often it is better to fuse the PW to a base, then cap it in a subsequent firing. If not, use beads/chads/Brads to allow the thickness of the PW, not to trap air. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Luiza

Post by Luiza »

If the PW has only one colour dos it makes any diference what side I fuse up?
Luiza
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: Which side of powder wafer to fuse to base?

Post by Brad Walker »

Brock wrote:... use beads/chads/Brads to allow the thickness of the PW, not to trap air.
Ouch.
Brock

Post by Brock »

Luiza wrote:If the PW has only one colour dos it makes any diference what side I fuse up?
Luiza
If it has only one colour I guess not. But it may depend on how thick you made it. Consider that it looks like a cookie, in a side view. If you fuse it onto a base with the rounded side down, it's possible that the edges could slump and trap air. Also, if it has only one colour, there are easier ways of applying one colour, than making a PW. Brock
Luiza

Post by Luiza »

Brock wrote:
If it has only one colour I guess not. But it may depend on how thick you made it. Consider that it looks like a cookie, in a side view. If you fuse it onto a base with the rounded side down, it's possible that the edges could slump and trap air. Also, if it has only one colour, there are easier ways of applying one colour, than making a PW. Brock
Well, you´re still very acid :oops:
Why the Paul Tarlow´s leaf was PW?
Probably I´m not understanding right the PW stuff ...
Luiza
Brock

Post by Brock »

Luiza wrote:
Brock wrote:

Well, you´re still very acid :oops:
Why the Paul Tarlow´s leaf was PW?
Probably I´m not understanding right the PW stuff ...
Luiza
Acid? Moi? Nah!

A PW is a pre-made component, compiled of (usually) different colours of powder, sifted through decals, or doilies, or lace, or anything you like to use. The main feature of them, is the different colours in the design elements and the background. See Bob Leatherbarrows work for great examples. Brock
Lynne Chappell

Post by Lynne Chappell »

If the powder wafer is fairly thin and placed so that it is out to the edge, then I've had no problems capping it with the initial fuse. I think if you put it in the middle of your piece, then you're apt to trap air. If you fire the wafer on top of the glass and take it to full fuse, then it will get shiny even without the clear glass. It's only dull because you just tack fused it and didn't get it hot enough to be glassy.