Installing Fused Glass Panels in Restaurant Bar

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Raphael Schnepf

Re: Installing Fused Glass Panels in Restaurant Bar

Post by Raphael Schnepf »

The big question is .... how permanent do you want these. There are several adhesives (like mirror mastic) but if there was ever a change of decor the pieces would be destroyed during removal. Seems to me you'd want a system that would allow for removal, for who knows what future reason, where the pieces could come off intact. But then again I paint murals directly to walls so who am I to talk.

Raf
http://www.rschnepf.com
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Raphael has a good point about removing them. However, I don't know a really good way to do that. The most removable glue is silicone. But that is not exactly a simple task. Maybe if you could get dental floss behind the panel, it could cut through the silicone. The other problem with silicone is keeping the glass in place while it sets up for 24 hours.

Mirror mastic is designed to hold the glass in place immediately, but it is black. Thinset with acrylic will work, but the glass will need to be destroyed to remove it. VHB tape can be good. It can perhaps be removed with the floss approach.

I would make sure to leave a small space between panels. They need some room to expand when the room gets hot.

I'd think about thinset, and sacrifice the panels to that application only.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Toni Johnson

Post by Toni Johnson »

How about if you have some MDF cut to size to fit the opening and use thinset to apply the panels to the MDF and you could screw the MDF (with panels already applied) to the wall. You'd have to leave spacing on the MDF with the panels to use screws, but at least you would be able to take it down and relocate it. MDF is really heavy, so you'd have to take that into consideration.

Just a thought.
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Toni Johnson wrote:How about if you have some MDF cut to size to fit the opening and use thinset to apply the panels to the MDF and you could screw the MDF (with panels already applied) to the wall. You'd have to leave spacing on the MDF with the panels to use screws, but at least you would be able to take it down and relocate it. MDF is really heavy, so you'd have to take that into consideration.

Just a thought.

There is a keyhole router bit that allows you to slide a plywood or MDF panel on to a dry wall screw that is sticking out the right length. If you are perfect with the screw placement, that could work.

There is such a thing as light weight MDF. The problem with that approach is that it could be too easy to remove...

If you have room to make the backing larger than the glass and screw that to the wall, then cover with a molding, that could be an effective approach.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
grozier

Post by grozier »

thanks for all the good advice. I have made my panels pretty tight to the space with maybe 1/8" all around. No chance for slipping something like dental floss behind to remove particularly with the cabinetry surrounding them. I don't think the owner envisions needing to change them out at some point. I am leaning toward white thinset right now. This way the glass will pretty much show its true colors. We will backbutter to avoid trowel grooves.

Any other ideas??

Thanks.

Tom

http://www.designerglassmosaics.com
Rick Wilton

Post by Rick Wilton »

It may sound crass but why bother worrying about removal, they apparently weren't worried about removal. So why make it more complicated, they are no longer your pieces so if they want them removed they can remove them however they want. I'd put them up the easiest and securest way that works.

Rick
Rick Wilton